1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB suddenly stopped working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Conrad747, Oct 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Conrad747

Conrad747 Thread Starter

hi folks,
    my wife tried to install a labtec webcam last night and all of a sudden the mouse, printer and webcam stopped working (all connected to USB ports). i tried checking the device manager and it says USB is working properly. i even restored my computer to friday's date to no avail. all devices were connected to the computer last month before we moved to a new apartment and mouse and printer were ok last night before the installation of the webcam.
    thanks a lot for your help.

hp pavilion 510c
    windows xp service pack 2

2. Conrad747

Conrad747 Thread Starter

any advice to restore the USB will very much be appreciated.

3. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Hi,

In Device Manager delete all USB entries

Reboot and allow Windows to redetect your chipset and install the chipset drivers. Install them manually if they don't install automatically.

hth

Ceri

4. Conrad747

Conrad747 Thread Starter

thabks for your reply. i did your advice, Ceri, but this annoying "unknown device" keeps coming back though nothing is connected to the USB ports. what else should i do?

5. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Hi,

With a number of devices connected to your USB ports, you may have a lack of power on them.

Boot with each one disconnected in turn. If the problem "appears" with one specific device connected. then you probably need to try using a powered USB hub.

This plugs into your USB port, but has a separate additional power supply to power the USB devices. It does not draw all its power from the USB bus in your computer.

hth

Ceri

6. Conrad747

Conrad747 Thread Starter

i tried that, Ceri, but to no avail. it seems that i don't have USB ports now. i tried these devices with another computer with Win2000 pro and all seem to work fine. i am just waiting for tomorrow so i could check out this problem with a HP tech support. thanks a lot for your replies.

7. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Hi,

Please expand on "Uknown Device"

Do you have something in Device Manager you don't recognise. Look at the properties of the device to see if this helps with clues as to what it is. It is quite common for devices to appear in Device Manager more than once. I've had this happen myself. Simply delete the extra entries.

Look at the IRQ list in Device Manager, this will indicate what devices you actually have. Are there any errors in Device Manager

Ceri

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Hmm, that unknown device doesn't sound good.

If they are any USB devices listed in Device Manager remove them starting with the USB Hubs and then the USB Controllers. Make sure you disconnect all USB devices and even the USB cables but don't reboot. Download the latest Intel Chipset INF and install those. Then reboot when asked. Windows should reinstall the drivers on reboot.

Also check the ports to see if there's any visible damage or if any metal tabs have bent and are shorting a port. You may have damaged the ports though. In which case you can buy an USB PCI card that can add 2 or 4 USB 2.0 ports to the computers.

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/download.asp?url=/7948/eng/infinst_enu.exe&ProductID=178

9. Conrad747

Conrad747 Thread Starter

there seem to be no problem with that the device manager is indicating. no yellow excalmation mark beside any device. i checked the properties of this "unknown device" and it doesn't say much, no driver etc. device instance ID says USB\VID_000&PID_0000\5&354D1AF3&0&2. hardware ID, compatible ID and matching ID all are USB\unknown. physically, ethernet and USB ports are beside each other and by checking the IRQ, IRQ 19 is shared by the ethernet card and USB controller. could it be conflicting?
    i tried windows troubleshooter, uninstalling this "unknown device" and clicking on scan for hardware changes this bug came back right away. what could this be? is it possible my ports are dead? thanks.

10. Conrad747

Conrad747 Thread Starter

that's on-board ethernet card.

11. Conrad747

Conrad747 Thread Starter

UPDATE...
    so, i almost gave up trying to fix the problem thru uninstalling the hub and controller until triple 6 mentioned that to check physically the ports. by looking at it, they look fine. so i asked the wife what happened. our 2 year old came over and pulled the usb cable from the port, as soon as the wife put it back that USB stopped working.
    so i opened the case and removed the USB front ports connector from the motherboard and restarted the computer, and, voila my optical mouse worked. so i removed the front USB ports and inspected them closely. seemed ok but as triple 6 said, could be a bent tab. and i figured that "unknown device" is the port detecting the other port. i cleaned the ports and checked the tabs, re-installed and everything is working as they should be.
    thanks alot for the help. just the input from ceri taught me how it could be done if the problem wasn't physical. and triple 6 put me on the right track.
    where can i send the cold MOLSON "i am canadian", triple 6? lol
    please consider this thread solved.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/290650

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice