1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Thumbdrive Memory Stick

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by swaters, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. swaters

swaters Thread Starter

My company recently purchased a Dell PC and bought a 64 MB USB Memory Stick with it. It works great on my XP machine at work, but I need drivers to use it on my Win98SE machine at home. I have searched far and wide to find these drivers but have been unsuccessful. I think it has to do with my lack of knowledge of this hardware. I'm not even sure if it's called a Thumbdrive or a Jump Drive or a memory stick or something else. All I know is it's a pretty little piece of plastice with a USB plug and a cap to protect it and it holds 64 MB of data. It has the Dell logo on it and it also has this information on the back:
    SMART
    model no.
    SM9FLAU

64 MB
    and the USB Symbol

Can somebody tell me where I can find the Win98SE drivers for this? Thanks.

2. swaters

swaters Thread Starter

I just found some more helpful info. I plugged the stick into a Windows 2000 machine and it popped up a window saying New Hardware Found: Lexar Digital Film USB Device. Is that a generic driver or is Lexar the manufacturer of the stick?

3. swaters

swaters Thread Starter

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Go to the Lexar website, you'll find the drivers there.

5. swaters

swaters Thread Starter

I found the drivers at the URL above. The only drivers I found at Lexar were the Jump Drive drivers which is not the same hardware as mine. I think Windows used the Lexar drivers like generic drivers.

6. swaters

swaters Thread Starter

I installed the drivers and it comes up fine as a virtual drive (G:). I can browse through it and copy small files. But when I get to copying larger files, it will go to maybe 10% and then slow down to a crawl, and then I'll get a blue screen fatal error. The only way to fix it is a hard restart. Any ideas what would be causing that error? Thanks.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That sure sounds like drivers, perhaps you should try other ones. If the device works, there's no reason it shouldn't work on W98. FWIW, I've used a Lexar JumpDrive 128mb and a 256mb USB 2.0 drive on a W98 system, and it had no difficulties with them.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!