1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

usb to enthernet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ALANTHAME, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ALANTHAME

ALANTHAME Thread Starter

hi ive got ntl internet
    i want to change connection from usb to enthenet
    how do i go about this any help pleaes
    thanks alan

2. Kitch

Kitch

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you have a USB only modem and want to change to Ethernet, you need a new modem. It's not possible to convert that directly. I presume you're thinking about a broadband router and require an Ethernet connection?

4. lister

lister

JW, NTL is cable, and the modems come with ethernet & USB ports (& cables).

Alan, do you have an ethernet card installed already?
    If so, turn off the modem and PC (power), and then remove the usb cable and plug in the CAT 5 Cable to the port on the PC and the Modem. Restart the modem, then when the lights stop blinking start your PC.

If you don't have an ethernet card installed, you will need to install it (PC off), then restart to let XP install the drivers for it - or download the driver from the manufacturers website - before connecting the cable.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

OK, I guess enough information to actually know what is desired would be useful. :) FWIW, I'm also moving this to networking.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437889

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice