1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB to Ethernet Adapter Problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cumulo, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cumulo

cumulo Thread Starter

Hi

Any help on this one would be great!

I am using a Belkin USB to ethernet adapter to connect to my Netgear ADSL modem/router as the win98se PC in question does not have an ethernet card.
    Via the other XP PC connected to the router I can see the win98 pc is 'attached' and also can successfully ping the router via the win98 machine.

However, I cannot seem to gain internet access which is working fine with the XP machine. I have tried configuring static IP addressing with manual dns configuration (Using the DNS addresses reported by the router) and, again, the router shows the win98 machine attached at the chosen IP address. Internet explorer just sits there saying 'Finding www.whatever.com' but fails to connect.

Heres hoping someone out there might be able to sat where I've gone wrong!

CU

2. 5mi11er

5mi11er

EDIT: Make sure you can ping IP addresses out on the net first. Something like ping 209.196.77.100. If you can't do that, then DNS, even if setup properly isn't going to work.

If you can ping IP addresses out on the internet, then continue with the stuff I originally wrote below.

--------------------------------------

Can you ping using DNS names, ie. www.google.com or mail.airmail.net? If not, and I'm guessing not, DNS still isn't working. Verify the DNS settings, and try pinging again. Until you can ping using names, IE isn't going to work.

Can the ADSL modem be a DHCP server? If so, why don't you try allowing the 98 box to get it's info via DHCP? Or had you tried that with the same results you're getting now?

If the settings are correct, and neither DHCP nor hardcoded DNS information allows you to resolve DNS, then you'll probably have to completely uninstall all the network stuff (adapters, drivers, etc) from Win98, reboot then try to reinstall. I've seen a few cases where 98 had everything configured, but it refused to resolve DNS...

Then, if the reinstall of the network stuff didn't work, it's OS reinstallation time.

Hope you don't have to resort to the last one; good luck.

-Scott

3. cumulo

cumulo Thread Starter

Thx 5mi11er
    I'm on my laptop at work now so will try an external ping when I get back home!

CU

4. cumulo

cumulo Thread Starter

OK then

I can ping external IP numeric addresses but not domain names so DNS seems to be the issue here. Have tried DHCP and hard coding my ISP's dns adresse to no avail :(

Does this mean that I need to remove ALL network adapters and re-install as per your suggestion or just the Belkin pair?

CU

5. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Since the problem is with DNS, I think you'll need to try removing everything, make it like you're not planning to do anything with networking, then reboot, reinstall the card, and let it reinstall ALL of the network drivers.

Hopefully that will resolve whatever isn't working with DNS.

If not, an OS reinstallation is the only way I've ever resolved this issue...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276743

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice