1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB to fast ethernet adapter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by abryan, Oct 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. abryan

abryan Thread Starter

I ordered DSL form Sprint and do not have a NIC card so I ordered a usb to fast ethernet adapter. When I plugged it into my usb, there was smoke, I'm pretty sure from the USB not the adapter, this is the type of usb that connects via jumper to the motherboard, and now my printer does not work which is also connected to the USB. So I'm pretty sure I fried the USB.

MY questions are,
    Did I hurt the motherboard or is there some protection in the usb?
    I only had 2 slots, so I would like a better usb, I do have open slots to install other type (whatever you call the slot), my next question, is what type usb would be better, the one that attaches via jumper to the mother board or what?

I need to call sprint and tell them what happened, any suggestions, did their adapter possibly do this? should I ask them to pay for a new usb? free one month service? or what. Can I test this usb adapter or should I heve them send me a new one?

Or should I go with a NIC card?

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Go with a NIC card. They are cheap and do not require special cabling like USB does for file transfers between PC's. They also provide faster transfer rates if you ever decide to set a traditional network.

Rollin

3. junker39

junker39

abryan, you can get a USB PCI card at any computer store or even Wallyworld. You can put it in while you put in the NIC card. Go with the USB 2. Good luck.

4. Lightning

Lightning Guest

Can you plug devices directly into the USB ports on your computer and use them?

What kind of slots are you talking about? PCI slots?

USB hubs and USB PCI cards serve two different purposes. A USB PCI card is necessary to upgrade a computer from USB 1.1 to USB 2.0. A hub wouldn't do that. A USB hub is useful if you regularly connect and disconnect USB devices and don't want to reach behind your tower (if it's a desktop) to do so. A USB hub is also necessary if you've already installed the maximum number of USB ports your motherboard supports.

This isn't Sprint's fault unless they're the ones that sold you/gave you the USB ethernet adapter. Does the DSL modem no longer work?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suspect that at least one of the USB connections to the MB were wired incorrectly. It's pretty hard to smoke the USB port if they're connected properly. FWIW, this is not an uncommon issue, and reversing the +5V and GND will result in smoking the device and most likely the USB ports.

6. abryan

abryan Thread Starter

please go to http://www.buyextras.com/usb204inmoto.html to see what my computer has...USB 2.0 4-Port Internal Motherboard to External but with 2 ports. It connects directly to the motherboard via a jumper. It is describes as follows: Applications: Add four USB 4.0 ports in a slot via connecting to a motherboard internally. Should I get another one of this type..........

or would I be better off with a pci card like the one at http://www.buyextras.com/bus5porusb20.html

By the way, I did buy the usb adapter from sprint, I called them and they are sending me another at no cost of course and said don't worry about returning the other. Once I plugged the adapter into the usb slot, there was smoke just a little and now nothing will work in the usb.

I never got to the point of plugging the modem in.

Sorry if this sounds a little confusing, but your answer was the best to me, thanks.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The PCI card is a much better choice instead the USB header. If you did damage the USB controller then a new header will not work either. Also with the PCI card you know that you have USB 2.0, with the header it will depend what your motherboard supports - USB 1.0/1.1 or 2.0.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/287545

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice