1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB to IDE Cables for cloning drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ioiosotwig, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ioiosotwig

ioiosotwig Thread Starter

I purchased several USB to IDE cables to make my life easier for cloning (Ghosting) drives using my laptop.

All appears to work fine, the laptop recognizes my old drive (say E:) and also the NEW blank drive (say F:).

I am using Norton Ghost and all seems OK so far.

I ended up with a mirror image of my original drive as F:

Now the problem: The drive won't boot. It appears as F: in my computer, so I believe that may be the issue of drive lettering... Or what else???

Thanks in advance...

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When you clone a drive it needs to be blank; no partition / drive letter, etc. If the old drive was E, then the new one should be E as well.
    Steps to clone a drive.
    1 Install new drive and do not partition or format; just install it like it comes out of the box.
    2 Boot with your cloning app
    3 Select source [old] drive and destination [new] drive.
    4 Complete the clone process and shutdown DO NOT reboot with both drive connected.
    5 Swap drives so the new one is the master drive. If using ide, you must set the jumper as the master device. Pull the power connector from the old drive.
    6 Power on the system and make sure you can boot, drives are correct, etc. If all is well, you can shutdown and reconnect power to the old drive. The os will assign the next available drive letter to the old drive.

Most of the time problems with cloning drives come from attempting to partition the drive before you clone it. You may be able to fix the existing clone by running fdisk /mbr from a win9x bootdisk.

3. ioiosotwig

ioiosotwig Thread Starter

Your method is what I normally do, but I am cloning drives from self contained touch screen terminals with a single IDE connector with laptop HD's in them. I normally have to haul in a tower PC to do my work. I am just trying to use my laptop with the USB connectors to make my life easier. If I boot from a CD on my laptop, it doesn't recognize my USB drives. If I run Ghost in windows, everything appears fine, I am able to clone the drive, but it does not boot! I feel I am missing a step, or is it not possible to do things the way I am attempting!

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I do not know about ghost since I do not use it. I use and recommend acronis true image. TI has no problem with usb type drives booting from the CD.

Have you tried the fdisk /mbr that was posted above?

When you do the clone, the destination drive is blank correct? No partition formatting or anything on the disk.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/576062

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice