1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB to IDE connector HELP!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by _Tommyboy_, Apr 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. _Tommyboy_

_Tommyboy_ Thread Starter

I have a problem. I had an old PC running Win98, and the C drive went bad. I had some photos and music on another drive. I purchased a new computer, running WinXP. I also purchased one of the USB to IDE converters so I could plug the drive with the pics into my new system and recover the pics, etc. My system recognizes the drive being attached to the USB, but I can't seem to access the info on the drive. Am I missing something, or perhaps it's impossible to recover the pics since I'm now running WinXP instead of Win98? Any help would be appreciated, since I'd hate to lose the pics! Thanks,

Tom

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Xp will read a Windows 98 drive just fine, any limitation would be in the other direction, as Wondows 98 cannot read NTFS, which XP optionally uses for disk format.

Does the drive show up under My Computer, or in Disk Management?

3. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

When you say the C drive went bad...how do you mean? Was it making weird noises and just stopped one day? If so, it could be completely dead.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Tell us something about the old computer. Did you perhaps use a drive overlay to install a drive that wasn't supported by the BIOS of the machine? What make/model of drive are you using? Did you try connecting it directly to the secondary channel of the new machine?

5. _Tommyboy_

In reply, first, thanks for the assistance. The only thing that shows up is a "mass storage device" through the device manager-USB controllers. I assume this is the drive. The C drive went bad(bad sectors), I had ANOTHER hard drive installed that had the pics on it. This drive is fine. The reason I didn't hook it up to the secondary connector on the IDE cable, is because when I purchased the machine, I told the salesman about my dilemma, so we opened the case, and there was no secondary connector on the cable, and he suggested I purchase the USB-IDE connector. Perhaps I need another cable? Maybe my computer is configured for one drive only?
    I have both a CDRW and a DVDR. Maybe I could unplug one of these for the time being and plug in the alternate hard drive, just to recover the pics, etc.?

6. sph_12

sph_12

When you say "there was no secondary connector on the cable," do you mean the IDE cable from HDD to mobo? If so, I believe they make cables with a master and slave connector, which sounds like what you need. I don't know anything about the USB-IDE adapter, but does the HDD hooked up to the adapter need to have power running to it? Just a thought. Good luck.

7. _Tommyboy_

Correct, I know there was no open connector on the IDE cable(perhaps the other connectors were attached to the CDRW and DVDR, I don't remember exactly). As for power, the USB IDE converter came with a power pack. I can hear the drive run when it gets power.

Thanks,
    Tom

8. griffinspc

griffinspc

Since you just bought the new machine is the drive a SATA. Do you know? That could explain why there's no second connector. Maybe the salesman didn't know the difference between a SATA and ATA drive cable. Normally you'd see a flat cable with two connectors for the hard drives and a second flat cable for the 2 optical drives. Ideally you would make that old drive a slave on the second connector and if it works fine copy the photos over to your new drive, reformat the old drive to NTFS and have a nice little backup drive.

9. _Tommyboy_

I know the new machine utilizes ATA, not SATA, I saw it myself in the showroom...however, the ATA/IDE cable only had one connector for a drive. Can I purchase a new ATA/IDE cable with two plugs? Would it be easier to temporarily disconnect an optical drive? I don't even know if I have another slot for a second drive. Maybe this is why the ATA/IDE cable only has one plug?
    Thanks again...

10. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I do at least once a week what you are attempting to do now and here is what I have found to be the simplest solution to this problem:

Turn off the computer.

Unplug the power supply from the wall.

Remove the old IDE drive from that USB adapter. Open the case of your new machine. Disconnect the ribbon cable from both of the CD/DVD drives. (The reason you disconnect it from both is so you don't have to worry about the master/slave jumper settings of each device.)

Connect your old hard disk to the ribbon cable. Turn on the computer. Use copy-n-past to transfer the files from the old disk to the new disk.

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Alex is onto the solution that I use. I just pull the CD's for the test and use their IDE channel, since as he correctly observes, it eliminates worries about correct jumpering. :)

12. _Tommyboy_

This sounds like the best solution. I will report back after I try this.
    Thanks very much,
    Tom

13. eden188

eden188

TommyBoy,

Do you know whether your new PC has SP2 applied to Windows XP?

This is a guess!! As I am having similar problem as you do. I am testing an IDE hard drive for a friend and I have an IDE-to-USB converter. When I plug into my home PCs (both with SP2 installed), I get the 'recognise mass storage' message, and it goes no further, but when I tried this on my work machine, this was picked up immediately by XP. The only difference is that the work PC does not have SP2 installed.

If you do have SP2 installed, see if you can find someone without it and test this theory, I would be interested to know also.

Thanks - eden188

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/350152

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice