1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB to PS2 mouse

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by georgepug, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. georgepug

georgepug Thread Starter

I have had a clone system running XP for some time. I have a Microsoft Optical mouse. I recently installed an HP 2355 PSC which works fine, but it causes my system to freeze intermittently. This is a USB printer.

I have reduced the issue down to the mouse. I installed fresh drivers and still had the problem. The mouse has a USB to PS2 converter, which I removed and now I am running straight USB. I don't seem to have the freezing problem anymore :). I will continue to monitor the problem as I turn back on some services that I had stopped.

My question is: Is there anything else I can do? I am taking up a USB slot that I sometimes use for other peripherals. Is getting a new converter worth the effort, any thing to check in system parameters, etc?

2. Perfesser

Perfesser

What MB/CPU are you running? I have the same problem on a Chaintech 7AIA5/AMD Duron 1800. The mouse (Logitech) works for a while on the PS/2 port then freezes up (it looks like the pointer is what stops - if you roll around on the desktop and click something will launch). I haven't been able to find a fix yet; it looks like an IRQ problem; looking in BIOS there is no way to reserve IRQ 12 (normally the PS/2 mouse), so when Windows (98SE) loads up it puts 2 USB univ host controllers and the modem on 12. This started at the last upgrade, changed MB and video. The old MB DID have the option to hold or release IRQ 12. Take a look at your IRQ's and BIOS settings and see if this is your problem.

3. winbob

winbob

George,

If using the Mouse in this manner has fixed the problem, go with the flow.

You said, "Is there anything else I can do? I am taking up a USB slot that I sometimes use for other peripherals. Is getting a new converter worth the effort, any thing to check in system parameters, etc?"

Rather than get a new converter, get a 4 into 1 USB hub to get the extra connections you need.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Personally, I'd spend the money you'd put into a 4:1 hub for a USB 2.0 PCI board, it's the same price. You'll end up with four high speed ports that don't have the limitations of running through a hub. Not every device works well through a USB hub, in spite of how things are supposed to work. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326319

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice