1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB to RS232 cable problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by focussys, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. focussys

focussys Thread Starter

I have used X10 successfully for many years and controlled my whole house via a CM11A controller. This controller connected to my PC through a serial port and could be easily programmed to change lights etc. Since the old PC died and I have bought a new one there is no serial socket on it. I got a cable adapter recently and installed the driver. After some jigging to get the device to be on COM2 (CM11A only allows 1 - 4) I still can't program the CM11A. The Activehome software fails its communication test to COM2. I downloaded a serial port monitor and it looks like bits are sending. Now I'm stuck! Any ideas out there?

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Look in Properties for COM2 and check the baud rate, parity, number of bits, etc is configured properly. The manual I found says 4800 baud, no parity, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit.

3. focussys

focussys Thread Starter

Hi Frank4d

Thanks for the reply.

I have checked all you say and they are correct, although I don't understand what to set for flow control.

I have downloaded an free piece of software called X10 Controller and it connects to COM2 OK, but no controls are strored.
    Activehome continues to not recognise anything plugged in.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/664385

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice