1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB transfer VERY slow

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by HalfwayHose, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HalfwayHose

HalfwayHose Thread Starter

Hi All,

I have an Acer Netbook and just plugged an external hard drive in via USB. I have 2.18G to transfer and it is telling me to wait another 2 hours and 15 minutes.

It has Intel Atom N570(1.66GHz) and win7 Starter.

Is that the best I can hope for?

It took my 6 year old Acer Aspire 14 minutes to put the 2.18G on the hard drive.

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Being a NetBook and with Starter, you most likely have only 1 Gig of RAM, so things are going to slow on this machine.

You MIGHT be able to upgrade the RAM, but most NetBooks were built with a motherbaord that could handle only 1 Gig of RAM.

4. HalfwayHose

HalfwayHose Thread Starter

Thanks guys,

I was writing to the internal hard drive so write caching may not help that much. Also I am only using the USB drive for large chunks while I load the netbook up with the stuff I need. I'll just suffer it for now.

It is maxed out at 1G but I checked during the copying and it was only using 54% of memory.

Thanks anyway.

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    The motherboards in these NetBooks are NOT known for speed, they go with the price of these machines.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025878

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice