USB trouble please help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

geekguy123

Hello. When I plug a usb device into my computer, such as my flash drive or wireless adapter, windows doesn't think anything is connected. Please help.

Does that include all the USB ports including the back and front....and does any USB device attached to the PC work?

geekguy123

One of my ports on the back work. I put a 4 port hub in that port but windows will only recognize it if one device is plugged in

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Unplug the four port hub.
Go device manager on the view tab - show hidden devices.
On USB = any warnings.
When did the problem first occur please.

I presume G drive is an external usb drive - powered or just USB please

Check in Device Manager Under Universal Serial Bus and see if any warnings show up

geekguy123

G is in the working port. It is my external hard drive. This has been going on for about a week. There are no warnings.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I thought it must be the external is it powered or just usb

geekguy123.
Please check in the USB root hubs - device manager if in power mamagement it is configured for windows to turn off to save power.
If it is uncheck on all USB hubs.
Power down.
UNPLUG the power cord.
as front and rear ports were mentioned a desktop - I presume.
Connect a flash pen to one of the rear ports, not the four way hub.
Connect the power cord.
Reboot.

Answer the Q, is it USB powered or does it have a transformer/rectifier device plugged in to it?

On certain computers, USB powered devices can only work on certain ports. Some ports aren't capable of supplying enough power in those instances.

geekguy123

I did what Macboatmaster told me to do. It did not recognize the flash drive

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Please confirm that you did all that I recommended including the root hub - power management.
Were they set for power saving

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Unless you have already tried this - please plug in the flash pen with the computer running.
Do not worry - flash pens are hot pluggable.
DO NOT DO THAT WITH THE HDD
IF THIS DOES NOT THEN SEE THE FLASH PEN
Could you please confirm before I proceed with further tests that you have disconnected the four port hub.
I presume you do mean an external four port hub.

Would you then please disconnect ALL usb devices, except of course any necessary if you have usb keyboard.mouse.

Please now go device manager and check if any updates are available on the usb root hub drivers.
Before attempting update check that no usb device is using that hub.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online