1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Trouble Win ME

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thinkingout, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thinkingout

thinkingout Thread Starter

Hi,
    Problem is the USB ports are not recognising the newly purchased USB Card Reader/Writer on my WinME system.
    I have tried it on my Win98 system and it is fine there.
    So what do I do? When I plug it in to the port, there is no red light on. According to the information supplied by http://www.veritech.com.tw I don't need to install any drivers from the supplied disc on Windows ME .

System shows no exclamation marks, and says the USB ports are working okay. I checked for drivers on system and it reports back that I have up to date drivers.

I might add that I use the same USB ports to connect a budget price digital camera. That is capable of loading piccies onto my pc provided I turn on the battery power at the camera.

So, what do I do next?

2. thinkingout

thinkingout Thread Starter

I am having another push at getting this problem solved. It is REALLY annoying. I can't believe that no-one has had this problem before.
    The supplier told me to "Have a look in the BIOS by pressing the delete key on boot up and then go to integrated peripherals and make sure that USB is enabled."
    It turned out that USB was not enabled, so I enabled it and saved. The ports were still not recognising my USB flash card or USB mouse, so I removed USB at control panel, system, and rebooted. The system recognised them again and reinstalled them. But I still could not use them.
    The supplier said, "It might be worth doing a Windows update to make sure you have all of the latest updates. If that doesn't work re-installing Windows might help."
    So I said, "I have reinstalled Windows ME three times in the past year and installed ALL the Windows updates."
    Now the supplier is saying, "But you haven't re-installed Windows since you enabled the USB ports."
    Now, I am under the impression that reloading Windows from my discs, will entail spending a whole day downloading Windows Updates, and another whole day reloading all my applications and documents, so before I go down this route, can someone out there please give me a second opinion?

3. zeddy

zeddy

Can you list your IRQs and what devices are on them.

4. milomorai

milomorai

you can do a repair install of me providing you have the original os installation cd. if all yopu have is a recovery cd then you will lose everything on your hdd. have you gotten updated drivers for your motherboard? that might solve the problem.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If the motherboard is old then maybe the USB ports are only USB 1.0 which had some issues.

As mentioned above you need to install the drivers for you mainboard which should include the USB ports- I assume the USB ports are built-in to the motherbaord and not a seperate removeable card?

If you post the model of you motherbaord, you can use AIDA32 to identify it: http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32

In the BIOS, see if there's an option to ASSSIGN IRQ to USB - if there is make sure its set to ON or YES.

As a last resort you can buy a PCI USB add-on card that will give you 2, 4, or 6 USB 2.0 Ports like this: http://www.startech.com/ststore/itemdetail.cfm?ProductID=PCI225USB&topbar=topbaruf.htm

6. zeddy

zeddy

Another alert is that sometimes when not using a ps/2 mouse there is an issue that devices can sit on IRQ12 and appear to be working fine, this IRQ is reserved, pop a ps2 mouse in and the devices are bumped to a workable IRQ.

7. brytus

brytus

I had to reload my ME and now it is acting eratic. Can't load programs etc.??

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166641

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice