Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

USB Troubles

Solved 
1K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  dannys22 
#1 ·
I somehow ran out of disk space with my SATA M.2 2280 500gb WD drive. I got a WD 1Tb NVMe 2280. I did an Acronis True Image clone from the 500 to 1Tb by using an USB SSD enclosure device and it said it was successful. When I swapped them out I get an error message "inaccessible boot device". My MB is a Gigabyte B450MDS3H, BIOS Ver F4, BIOS date 1-25-2019, BIOS ID 8A16BG05,
Ryzen 5 2600X, DDR4-300 16Gb, WD Blue 3D NAND SATA M.2 2280 500Gb drive. NEW drive WD BLACK NVMe 1Tb drive.
Windows 10 Pro, current version 20H2, build 19042.804
I just found out something interesting (to me anyways) I connected my USB enclosure that had the 1tb drive on my other older computer which is a GA-870A-UD3 running Win 10 Pro just as my computer is, same version and Windows explorer saw the usb drive and I was able to see the files. I don't understand why the Ryzen 5 system doesn't do the same thing.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20201231125525.000000-480
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 23 Model 8 Stepping 2, CPU Count: 6
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 710
Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (32 GB Free);
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. B450M DS3H-CF, ver x.x, s/n Default string
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n Default string
Antivirus: Norton Security, Enabled and Updated

THANKS for the help.
Danny

See less See more
#3 ·
Danny:

I can't address your cloning and USB issue, but there are some other issues in your log that I want to address.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 23 Model 8 Stepping 2, CPU Count: 6
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 710
Your computer has a very impressive performing processor(CPU), but it has a very weak performing graphics card(GPU).
The price of graphics cards has increased during the past year, but you should consider upgrading to a better performing one.

Clipboard.jpg

Antivirus: Norton Security, Enabled and Updated
Windows 10 can have various issues when using a third-party antivirus, so it's recommended not to use one.
You should consider getting rid of it and sticking with Windows 10's built-in antivirus app (Windows Security aka Windows Defender).

-------------------------------------------------

#8 ·
Danny:

I can't address your cloning and USB issue, but there are some other issues in your log that I want to address.

Your computer has a very impressive performing processor(CPU), but it has a very weak performing graphics card(GPU).
The price of graphics cards has increased during the past year, but you should consider upgrading to a better performing one.

View attachment 286951

Windows 10 can have various issues when using a third-party antivirus, so it's recommended not to use one.
You should consider getting rid of it and sticking with Windows 10's built-in antivirus app (Windows Security aka Windows Defender).

To be honest I thought it would be better than the onboard video and I was being CHEAP at the time because it's not a gaming machine. :)
Thanks for asking
Danny

#4 · (Edited)
Yes, the motherboard should support that drive. In fact WD nvme drives are on the list of supported nvme drives [on the support page]
I can almost guarantee your problem is in how you did the clone. You did the clone from within windows did you not ie NOT booting from the rescue usb?
As I said in your other thread, doing an image [from the bootable usb] then restoring the image to the new drive would be a much simpler method.

#6 · (Edited)
I just found out something interesting (to me anyways) I connected my USB enclosure that had the 1tb drive on my other older computer which is a GA-870A-UD3 running Win 10 Pro just as my computer is, same version and Windows explorer saw the usb drive and I was able to see the files. I don't understand why the Ryzen 5 system doesn't do the same thing.
No one ever said the files cannot be seen; you are getting the msg regarding inaccessible boot device because the bios is not seeing the boot files/sector NOT because it cannot see the normal files. This is often caused by doing a clone from within windows; the boot files are hidden, protected files and a normal windows program may or may not "See" the boot partition. In fact IF you connect your new drive [in the enclosure] to a working system and check it is disk management, you will probably see just a single partition.

OK I am really going to finish cooking dinner now :giggle:

#7 · (Edited)
THANKS for the help. Yes I did the clone from within windows using Acronis True Image 2021. Can't make a rescue disc or usb drive, THAT's ANOTHER separate problem I'm trying to deal with Acronis with. I got the WD Cloning s/w and will look at it. More to follow, it will take some time.
THANKS AGAIN
Danny

#9 ·
You can use another program to do the image/restore. Clonezilla [while NOT the easiest thing to use] will do the job for you. You do need to be somewhat competent in using linux since clonezilla is linux based.

FWIW the acronis true image boot usb is also linux however it works just like windows so no big deal.

#10 ·
I'm pretty sure the AMD Ryzen 5 2600X processor doesn't have on-board graphics, so a dedicated graphics card would be needed.
Someone else here can correct me if I'm wrong.

Even though you're not a gamer, a better performing graphics card might be needed when you perform certain functions.
Personally, I would get one.

#14 ·
I got this info from running the WD MVPassistant software for Acronis.
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, Release 2009, Version 10.0.19042.804, 64-bit
Build ID: 19041.1.amd64fre.vb_release.191206-1406
Installed: 12/31/2020 12:55:25 PM
Last Boot: 4/12/2021 5:48:34 PM
Boot: Disk 0 Partition 2
WinRE: Disk 0 Partition 1
Last Drive: D:
Language: 1033 (en-US)
Computer Name: DANNY-PC-2
User Name: Danny
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. B450M DS3H-CF, x.x, SN: Default string
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor (64-bit)
Memory: 15.95 GB Total / 11.95 GB Available
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc., F4, 1/25/2019
BIOS Mode: UEFI (Secure Boot Disabled)
Networks: Ethernet: Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller 0 Mb/s Down
Local Area Connection* 9: Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2 0 Mb/s Down
Local Area Connection* 11: Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #3 0 Mb/s Down
Wi-Fi: TP-Link Wireless USB Adapter 585 Mb/s Up
Running as Admin: Yes
Does help with anything?
THANKS for the help.
Danny

#15 ·
At this point, I would really consider doing a clean install of windows. Really a clean install on a fast system takes all of 8~10 min and another hour or so to install drivers, software, etc. I am sure you have spent more time than that messing with attempting to do a clone.

Up to you however IF this were me, I would either reinstall your old drive and make an image then pull the old drive and install the new one and restore OR just clean install windows.

#20 ·
I used to work for skywest however mandatory retirement at age 65.
1 Install your old drive and pw ON the system
2 Install either the WD version of acronis or if you have a retail version, install that one
3 In the tools menu, one of the options is to make the recovery or rescue dvd or usb
4 Make the bootable usb
5 I like to do all imaging or cloning from the bootable usb. Make the image and store it on your external drive
6 Shutdown and install your new drive, remove your old drive
7 Boot the system with the bootable usb. Have the external drive connected and ON prior to boot
8 Restore the image to your new drive. Note the drive will show as the same size as the old one. You go to disk management and extend the drive into the unallocated space. Reboot and the drive will now show as full size

Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.