1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Usb Turntables

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by cpt kirk, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cpt kirk

cpt kirk Thread Starter

I bought a Usb turntable ,Kam bdx 900,I favoured it over the other ones, as it has a hydraulic lifting arm although it is essentially a dj turntable.When I connected it up to my pc, Windows at first of all recogised it and then went in the huff and refused to install it.
    I tried the various suggestions here and elsewhere and they failed to help,then in a slow flash it came to me, my hi-fi setup is 7 feet away from the pc and I used a 5mtr Usb cable,however, when I used a shorter cable, 3mtrs (max),it worked perfectly!
    I don't know if a powered Usb hub would allow a more distant usage, to save moving the turntable.
    Anyway I hope this helps those, who have had the same problem.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Try a better quality cable.

3. cpt kirk

cpt kirk Thread Starter

Missin the point John,for the same reason they use, Time based controllers, in av studios , a signal arrives at the tbc at different times, when they use multiple cameras with different length of cables.
    The resistance in a cable ,will not be enhanced ,significantly or at all, by spending shedfulls of loot on fancy cables,when in this case the signal to Pc is very low and comes from a pre-amp source in the turntable.
    The distance between source and pc is critical.
    Those out there who can explain in a more technical way, please post.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you believe that, why do you think a USB hub will fix the issue? Quite frankly, your explanation makes no sense. The signal on the USB cable is digital, the analog conversion is done in the turntable. This is a simply case of too much cable capacitance for the digital signal to be properly propagated. The "source" is the pickup in the TT, and the destination is the Analog -> USB converter in the TT, the distance between those doesn't change. The issue you're seeing is strictly a limitation of the specific cable you are using and the digital signal on the USB wire. A low capacity cable would allow longer distances.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595598

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice