1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB (Undetected Serial Bus)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NavigatorX, Jul 10, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NavigatorX

NavigatorX Thread Starter

hey y'all check this out.
    i just bought an external dsl modem. I put it in one of my USB ports, it worked fine, i got connected to my DSL provider.
    But im just wondering why the external modem
    won't show up in the device manager? It just shows my 56k internal modem which i didn't take out of the machine. Also, under universal serial bus controlers in the device manager, it showed up an unknown device and it is disabled.
    I tried to shut it down and took out the ext. modem from the USB port and rebooted, it doesn't show the unknown device in the usb controlers anymore. But if i put back the ext. modem to the usb port, it's gonna show up that unknown device again.
    Help!!! please? [​IMG]

2. aaronk

aaronk

What OS?

3. NavigatorX

sorry i 4got to say.
    i got a win98 SE.
    actually i have 400 celeron
    160 RAM

4. RonK

RonK

You will probably find it in Device Manager under Universal serial Bus Controllers.

5. NavigatorX

This is what i found out:
    The ext. DSL modem would not appear
    in the modem section under device manager.
    It would appear on the Network Adapter
    section. I found my dsl modem there.

But regarding my 2nd USB port, yes it would show up on universal serial bus controlers but it says: Unknown device and it is disabled. i tried to enable it then what it gave me was a yellow exclamation point and it tells me to update my driver. It is currently using the driver c:\windows\inf\usb.inf

Could it be that i need a patch for the mother board. I actually don't know what board i got.

6. aaronk

aaronk

well, if you're using an Intel chipset, all you should see in under Universal Serial Bus controllers is:
    Intel 82371 AB/ED PCI to USB Universal Host Controller and USB Root Hub.

I would think that competing chipsets would be similar in architecture.

7. NavigatorX

yes that's right. I see just 2 whenever i get the modem connected to the 1st usb port. but the problem is i have another device that needs to stay connected to my 2nd usb port. and when i try to hook it up there, it shows up another thing "unknown device" in the universal serial bus controllers section. and it says disabled. how can i get rid of that?

8. Whypick1

Whypick1

Might wanna try a chipset upgrade. Do you know what mobo you have?

------------------
    Just remember, i could be wrong.

9. NavigatorX

yeah i think i need that. but i don't know what mobo i have 'coz i don't open it so the warranty won't expire. but it's an emachine etower 400i3. Anybody knows what mother board comes with this kind of machine?

10. Whypick1

Whypick1

Lucky you, you have a VIA chipset, so there's no need to hunt for something specific, as all VIA chipsets have the same drivers. You can find 'me here

------------------
    Just remember, i could be wrong.

11. NavigatorX

Whypick1: hey you know what? i tried that thing you gave me but it wouldn't install it says registry error, pls reboot. it would do it over and over again.

but then someting funny happened. i tried to switch the two devices. i hooked the ext. modem to the 2nd usb port instead of the 1st, then the other device to the 2nd port. And it didn't give me that "unknown device" in the device manager anymore! I don't know how it got fixed by just switching it. anyway, the problem is solved but does anybody know why it fixed that problem?

***THANKS TO EVERYBODY FOR HELPING!!!***

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!