USB - USB 2 converter

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jampot

My question is simple - how would I know if the USB sockets on my machine are USB or USB2? I understand certain hardware, such as the iPod Mini only support firewire and USB2. I have a Mesh PC which is approximately 4 years old.

If I do not have any USB2 sockets is there any hardware which would enable my machine to accept a USB2 connection (ie convert a bog standard USB connection to a USB 2 one)

Thanks

Jampot

If you go to system properties and look in the USB section it will have the words enhanced or similar next to it for USB 2 ports.If you don't have this you can get USB2 PCI cards relatively cheap these days.
BTW you need SP1 or above installed on XP to support USB2.

My Mesh is 3.5 years old and its four USB ports are definitely NOT USB2. However I run an external hard disk intended for USB2 as well as card reader, printer, scanner and they all work very well with USB1. USB is generally backwards compatible which is why my stuff works, albeit more slowly, but not that I would notice any difference unless I invest in a USB2 card which I am not thinking of doing.
I suggest you try the iPodMini and only upgrade if you need to.

johnni

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
A USB 2.0 card is about $15, and will make a huge difference with stuff like hard disks.

jampot

Thanks to all who took time out to post a reply - as suggested my machine has only USB ports.

Johnni: when you suggest the iPodMini, will this work with standard USB sockets?

Thanks

jampot

I have never used such a device, so as I said try it out and upgrade to USB2 if necessary. If the power consumption is minimal you should be OK but my external HD, printer, scanner all have their own mains power cables so all the USB has to do is transfer the data.

johnni

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online