1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Video Capture device defaults to "Video Tuner" mode...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dlipman, Feb 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dlipman

dlipman Thread Starter

First Name:
    David
    I have a X10 VA12A USB video capture device under Win7/32. It works. However...

The Win7 PC defaults to "Video Tuner" mode and not to "Composite" mode as the default Video Input.

This is noted by using the [1]Microsoft AMCAP v1.0 utility [ amcap.exe ] and I have to go to... Options --> Video Input --> Video Composite to see the NTSC video stream.

I also have a Syntek STK1160 Grabber and I don't have that issue. When I use AMCAP with both USB Video Capture devices connected, the Options menu is different for the chosen device.

How can I change the Video Input default from "video tuner" to "composite" on the X10 VA12A USB video capture device ?

1. Defaulting to "video tuner" is noted in all software from Wickr Me to Skype to Corel VideoStudio. Not all software have an option to chose the Video Input so AMCAP best examples the issue.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  2. dlipman

dlipman Thread Starter

First Name:
    David
    I kind of figured I get no replies. But, it was worth a shot.

3. HowdyHigh

HowdyHigh

I don't know the equipment and rarely use Amcap but I thought I would give some ideas. One of my first thoughts was trying this on another Win7 PC. From what I see on the X10, it only does Composite. So I am wondering what the video tuner input is coming from (maybe the Syntek?).

While writing this, I found my AMCAP.exe. My version is 8.12 (Microsoft). It appears I also have a version 3.0.9 (Sonix). And another 8.0 version. Each came from a diffferent product. Most recent came from an Endoscope purchase. Now I suggest a newer version. I noticed my version because I do not have Options > Video Input. Although, I am not using a USB composite capture device.

Maybe Amcap isn't the issue and you are just using it as an example. I assume you have used other software such as OBS, XSplit, or even Manycam to test it. Thats why I suggest testing on another win7 (same 32/64bit) to see if the drivers may carry that setting.

4. dlipman

dlipman Thread Starter

First Name:
    David
    Thanx for the reply.

AMCAP is just a simple test utility. It also provides easy access to mode options; Composite, Tuner and S-Video. I have tested it on other platforms.

As long as applications provide the mode options (Composite, Tuner and S-Video) so I can choose Composite I can deal with it. It is just annoying that software defaults to Tuner. For software that does not provide a mode option choice, I can go into AMCAP and set the option to Composite, load the required software, close AMCAP, and when I load the software's video capturing module it will be in Composite mode.

5. coolman911099

coolman911099

Could be that it was a diffrit mode that had the extra ports and the usb is just seetibg it as one I is not able to use

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222593

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice