1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB vs WiFi sustained speed comparison

Discussion in 'Networking' started by LanguidLegend, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LanguidLegend

LanguidLegend Thread Starter

Here's my setup:
    In my bedroom I have my modem, wireless router (Netgear WGR614 v9), and my desktop computer which has a large HDD with all my movies, TV shows, and music. In my living room, I have my Xbox and new device I just recently installed, PBO (Patriot Box Office Core Media Player). The media player has ports for USB and ethernet hard drive connections.

Basically what I'm looking for is a way to convert the wireless signal in my living room into a physical connection (ethernet cable) which I can plug into my PBO and watch high def (720p+ resolution) videos from my desktop.

I know that a USB wifi adapter would be simpler, but there's one thing I'm trying to determine before I buy: bottlenecking. I crunched the numbers (not quite sure how accurately mind you haha), and here's what I saw - a recent bandwidth test (using my desktop) reported my upload speed around 3000kpbs (375KB/s), whereas the sustained speed of USB 2.0 is reportedly anywhere from 5MB/s to 15MB/s (way higher).

Does this mean that USB's top potential sustained transfer rate is being bottlenecked by my internet connection speed? Are my numbers helpful/accurate at all?

Any input is much appreciated! :D

2. Rockn

Rockn

USB device will always be limited to the bandwidth of the port. You can't make the wireless go faster than it's rated bandwidth either. The USB will not be bottlenecked, it will take whatever comes in up to it's rated bandwidth.

3. LanguidLegend

LanguidLegend Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply.

Well by bottlenecked I meant that the limited network speeds will not get anywhere near USB's max transfer speed and so the USB will not be at it's optimal output.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1042320