1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB WIFI Adaptor

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Blakes7, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Blakes7

Blakes7 Thread Starter

Hi! I currently connect to the internet through a router with a wired connection. I'm thinking of setting up a wifi connection, since I got a deal on a new router that has wifi capabilities. I've been looking at wifi adaptors, and the usb type is a lot cheaper. However, most of them seem to be made for laptops. Is there a usb wifi adaptor for a desktop computer? If so, what's a good recommendation for one? Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. TekTime

TekTime

I dont think it will matter much if you use a laptop adapter for a desktop; just keep in mind that many USB Wifi adapters have connectivity issues from time to time.

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    there a lot of Wireless Adapters for desktop - what Machine do you have, we need to check to see if it has a PCI / PCI express slot in the machine, so you can install the device
    These are NOT recommendations, just examples
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-WG311-54Mbps-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B0000ATFBT

I have not purchased or selected enough PCI cards to make a recommendation, SO i will move your post to networking - what country are you in?

I have however, used these two device last week on a desktop
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-802-11g-Wireless-Network-Adapter/dp/B0006374PK

This one also comes with an extension cable, and worked far better in the location - from the fixed postion of the belkin, we could only get 1 out of far bar of signal strength, BUT on the edimax by using the cable extension supplied, we where able to position the unit such that we received 4 out of 5 bars of signal strength , and the speed upto 54Mbps
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0SDTV1DHF5J6JNM0YQ5J

4. Blakes7

Blakes7 Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I have a pci slot available, and from what I've gleaned looking around, a usb adaptor doesn't have nearly the range of a pci adaptor. Since one computer will be 2 floors away from the router, I guess I should be looking at pci cards. Any recommendations for a good, fairly cheap card? Thanks.

5. TekTime

TekTime

6. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Two floors away? I would borrow a USB Wi-fi adapter and test the signal strength. Although a PCI adapter would have more throughput than a USB adapter, the signal strength will be the same. (The signal strength of the router will be what matters most.)

If you don' t get a signal with the USB adapter, you probably won't with a PCI adapter either.

Courtney

7. TekTime

TekTime

I second Courtney's comment. Keep in mind that walls in your home act as barriers to your signal and can greatly degrade your Wifi signal. It's important to get a router with a high range if that is an issue. Also, note that RFI (radio frequency interference - such as caused by powerlines, transformers, other radio equipment) can be a factor in your signal quality as well.

I haven't seen much of a difference in USB and PCI adapters either, but to me USB adapters are somewhat unreliable.

8. Blakes7

Blakes7 Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I'm looking at a great deal on a linksys wmp600n dual band router---less than half price including shipping. The only thing I don't understand about a review I read is that the router should support the draft n 2.0 standard. The router I have is a linksys wrt54gr and I can't find anything in the documentation about standards. Will I have any problems with this setup? Thanks.

9. catlady13

catlady13

According to the site I looked at that router is a b/g router and does not do n. From what I understand N will go farther and faster. Your pci card should support the back formats b/g but N would be better but to get that you have to have a wireless router that does N as well as the pci card or the usb wireless whichever you put into your computer.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The WRT54GR is an 802.11g router.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That's fine. There were few if any changes from draft 2 to the official 802.11n standard, so any additional 'N' devices should work with it. It is backward compatible with 802.11g and 802.11b wireless adapters, so whatever you have now will still work with it.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920263

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice