USB wireless card not installing on new computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SineNomine

I'm doubting that the problem is with the card. It works with eight other computers I've tried it on. I'm guessing it's with the USB on the new computer; however, the Mouse and Keyboard [both usb] work fine. I put the wireless card into a slot which I KNOW was working. The usb controllers [two of them] show up properly in the device manager, however, a third doesn't seem to exist. No device on the computer can see the card or the built in ethernet [the heck?]. I'm now on my second complete format, but I'm doubting the problem is going to fix itself.

Windows XP Professional, straight off of the disc as I'm obviously unable to update it. Board is an AMD 3400 athlon xp. Also, it's EXTREMELY touchy with some of the USB ports, so much as touching the cable is causing the machine to powerdown as though I just shoved an IDE cable into a drive while it was on, possibly related. The card is a 2wire wireless card802.11g - standard for wireless routers via SBC.

Thanks to anyone who can give me some suggestions :)!

dustyjay

Jay
Is the reason that you are unable to update XP Pro because you cant get online because of the wireless card problem? Or is it because you have a less than legal copy of the Win XP Pro disc? I am gonna guess because of the Wireless card problem.

Does your network card (Is it an onboard Network Interface?) work with out the Wireless card installed. if so, you can remove the Wireless card and connect by wire to your router and get on the internet to upgrade your OS.

SineNomine

The network card is built into the board, so it's not much of an ethernet 'card' persay. I'm not going to be able to make any cable reach the router, so I'm going to have to fix it 'offline', though my other dozen computers are all online; most with burners running various OSs, PC and MAC.

dustyjay

Jay
If you are maintaining that many computers you might think about ordering The service pack CD directly from Microsoft. They even shipped one ot me for free.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online