1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB won't work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jtn3833, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtn3833

jtn3833 Thread Starter

I'm dealing with a friends old Compaq running WinXp home. She's trying to get a new HP printer working with it using the USB connector. I've looked at it and I can only come up with the idea that none of the USB ports on the computer work.

I attached another USB printer and it never detected it. I've reinstalled the drivers for the printer several times and it seems to install fine until the install package tries to detect the printer, then it says installation failed.

I also installed a PCI - USB card and that didn't work either (never detected the printer). There doesn't appear to be anything internally unplugged or loose either and no problems according to the Device Manager.

The biggest problem with the computer is that it's only running with 256M or RAM. I'm going to install 1G RAM this weekend - could the low RAM be the issue?

In retrospect I should have plugged in my jump-drive to see if it would would be detected, but I didn't think of it at the time... I'll give that a try this weekend when I install the RAM

Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    JTN

2. shinybeast

shinybeast

Hello, check the USB controller status in Device Manager to make sure Windows knows about them and they are functional. If they aren't functional they may be disabled in BIOS.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755258

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice