USB won't work

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jtn3833

I'm dealing with a friends old Compaq running WinXp home. She's trying to get a new HP printer working with it using the USB connector. I've looked at it and I can only come up with the idea that none of the USB ports on the computer work.

I attached another USB printer and it never detected it. I've reinstalled the drivers for the printer several times and it seems to install fine until the install package tries to detect the printer, then it says installation failed.

I also installed a PCI - USB card and that didn't work either (never detected the printer). There doesn't appear to be anything internally unplugged or loose either and no problems according to the Device Manager.

The biggest problem with the computer is that it's only running with 256M or RAM. I'm going to install 1G RAM this weekend - could the low RAM be the issue?

In retrospect I should have plugged in my jump-drive to see if it would would be detected, but I didn't think of it at the time... I'll give that a try this weekend when I install the RAM

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
JTN

Hello, check the USB controller status in Device Manager to make sure Windows knows about them and they are functional. If they aren't functional they may be disabled in BIOS.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online