1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

usb1.1 or usb 2.0?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by T-Bone, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. T-Bone

T-Bone Thread Starter

Hello all...

I can't tell if the USB ports on my computer are 1.1 or 2.0. I know that 2.0 is a recent type, and my computer is at least 3 years old, so probably 1.1 but I thought I'd ask. I'm looking into buying an mp3 player, and most reviews I've read say that usb 2.0 ports are preferred for their speed.

Follow up question,

anyone know of any good online reviews for first-time mp3 buyers? I love research!

thanks...

2. Cell

Cell

um what kind of mp3 you looking for and what size??

3. T-Bone

T-Bone Thread Starter

I'm looking for player that I can take to the gym, but will also work well in my car. Right now I'm thinking that a flash memory player will be best for the gym - iPod Shuffle, others? However I'm reading some not-so-favorable reviews about the in-car adapters for the iPod Shuffle. My car stereo does not have a line in jack.

4. Cell

Cell

ahh havent heard of the shuffle. i have a 20gb ipod and its pretty nice. as far as the adapter for the car im pretty sure you could get a tape adapter that you would get for a portable cd player (if you were to use it in your car if you didnt have a cd player) and it should work the same. have tried this though.

5. T-Bone

T-Bone Thread Starter

There are several bad reviews regarding the tape deck adapter for the iPod Shuffle. The majority of these compaints are concerning a terrible squeaking noise from the imitation "tape". I can actually remember my old Diskman tape deck adapter making this awful noise - and that was 10 years ago! Not much progress I guess...

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Look in Device Manager, if your USB (bottom of the listings, expand the [+] ) is listed as "enhanced" it is USB 2.0
    If it does not say "enhanced" it is USB 1.1

7. T-Bone

T-Bone Thread Starter

I expanded every category in Device Manager, and I still don't see USB listed. Actually, I don't think I've ever used the USB ports on this computer.

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Perhaps if you gave some clue as to what hardware and Windows version you have got then??

If you have no Universal Serial Bus Controller listed, perhaps it's an older PC than you think and there is no such facility, despite the sockets on the case?

Again, I would expect it to be the bottom listing, in device manager.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325528

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice