1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB2 Device showing as 'Unknown Device'

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DazBarber, Mar 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DazBarber

DazBarber Thread Starter

Hi,
    I've been scouring the newsgroups for answers to the following problem and have tried everything suggested to no avail...

My USB 2.0 Pen Drive was working fine until yesterday. It now shows as unknown device and windows reports that it may not function correctly. It doesn't work at all!

However, I took it to work with me and (on a USB 1.1 PC) it worked well.

When I returned home, I tried again in my PC to no avail. I then tried uninstalling Root Hubs and Controllers and the like from Device Manager as suggested in many newsgroups and the thing sprang back into life. However, as soon as the
    Enhanced USB driver is detected, the pen drive vanishes and the 'unknown device' returns.

I've been into safe mode, I've tried to delete the 'VID keys' from the USB section of the registry (which won't delete even though I log in as the administrator) and I've removed all USB devices and then uninstalled all hubs from Devce Manager and let them reinstall themselves.

I now have my Pen Drive working in (I assume) 1.1 mode by means of 'disabling' the 'enhanced host controller'. As soon as it is re-enabled I lose my Pen Drive and return to 'Unknown Device'.

XP says that my 'Enhanced Controller' has no problems.

Please help - everything was fine on Monday and a restore does no good at all. Why can I not delete the VID keys?

Thanks in advance,

Daz

2. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

It sounds like a driver issue to me.

Are your USB2 ports "on-board" on from a PCI card?

3. DazBarber

DazBarber Thread Starter

I'm guessing PCI based as the Device manager is showing 'Sis PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller'.

Thanks,

Daz

4. dai

dai

it sounds like the wrong driver to me also check the sis site they are pretty good at releasing updated drivers

5. DazBarber

DazBarber Thread Starter

It was working fine. Would it just stop like that?

Daz

6. dai

dai

try reseating the card,the only thing i can think of is the driver got corrupted

7. DazBarber

DazBarber Thread Starter

Having read my PC manual, it would seem that they are onboard USB ports, not PCI card ports.

Daz

8. dai

dai

try reinstalling the drivers from the m/b setup disk

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216221

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice