USBs not working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

winnie2018

Hi,
I'm new here so please be nice

I'm having a problem with my PC (Acer Aspire M3970) i5 6GB RAM running Windows 7.

My usbs stopped working the other day seemingly after enabling a wifi receiver on the back of the tower. I have no keyboard or mouse function. I've tried system restore, windows repair, disabled the wireless receiver and removed it, cleaned out the tower (gently) checked usb drivers are up to date and uninstalled and reinstalled them.
No keyboard or mouse in safe mode either, I can only use them if I press f8 on startup and choose 'disable driver signature enforcement'. I've updated the system and ran a spyware and antivirus check.

Also update says it cannot install Windows 10 and the troubleshooter doesn't work! Help!

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I suspect you have a wrong wireless driver that is not signed
Download the one from here
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/3673?b=1
Wireless LAN
Wireless LAN Driver
Date:
2011/05/17
Version:
Vendor:
Ralink
Size:
3.5 MB

Download

IF the windows 7 is 64 bit.
Do not install it
Go to device manager for the wireless - right click, click driver tab
UNINSTALL driver - reboot

Install downloaded driver.
The reboot and see if it now loads windows without F8 disable driver signature enforcement

winnie2018

I suspect you have a wrong wireless driver that is not signed
Download the one from here
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/3673?b=1
Wireless LAN
Wireless LAN Driver
Date:
2011/05/17
Version:
Vendor:
Ralink
Size:
3.5 MB

Download

IF the windows 7 is 64 bit.
Do not install it
Go to device manager for the wireless - right click, click driver tab
UNINSTALL driver - reboot

Install downloaded driver.
The reboot and see if it now loads windows without F8 disable driver signature enforcement
Hi Macboatmaster,

I have since removed the wireless card as I don't need it and it didn't show up in the device manager anyway. I'm on windows 7 32 bit.
Any other ideas for drivers would be helpful but I've already tried uninstalling and letting windows find them again. I've also disabled the power management function on each usb. It's all very strange!

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Do you have some manner of driver program installed, that is supposed to find the drivers for you

winnie2018

No but I've just checked the Acer site and downloaded a couple to see if that helps. Windows now installing 7 new updates. Fingers crossed!

Winnie, please check the BIOS to see if your USB controllers were disabled and recommend to set BIOS to default settings and restart. Also I recommend to flash your BIOS to the latest version. The latest version is P03.A3 and you can use this link to download:

https://global-download.acer.com/GD...ep3=ASPIRE M3970&OS=712&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

If the USB ports are in the front of the case that the USB controller cable is plugged into the motherboard.

winnie2018

I've checked the BIOS and usbs were enabled. I'll need some help to update the bios. I've read it can mess things up?

If you check the zip there is batch file to run in Windows. You can also choose DOS.

upload_2019-10-25_12-15-20.png

Last edited by a moderator:

winnie2018

DO NOT at this stage flash the BIOS
OR attempt to use HIRENS

IF the updates do not solve the problem send me please a paste of the info in the white box when you run our system information utility
https://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe
Updates did not solve anything and my techy friend logged on and tried all sorts and checked drivers etc to no avail. He suggested buying win 10

Yes, Microsoft and Acer will not support Windows 7 next year since it has becoming obsolete. You "can" upgrade this PC since the specs are minimal to install. However, for the 5-year plan, you better off with a brand new build if you have the budget to spend $1000- $2000 depending on your preferences. In the interim, I recommend to have your tech contact to back up your data and possibly conduct a factory reset. Basically start over.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Are you connected direct to usb port or via a hub
Which Windows repair did you try
I've tried system restore, windows repair, disabled the wireless receiver and removed it, cleaned out the tower (gently) checked usb drivers are up to date and uninstalled and reinstalled them

In device manager are any warnings shown on usb ports if so post details please
If NOT try this
To disable and re-enable the USB controllers, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. Type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK. Device Manager opens.
  3. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.

Note You might have to scroll down the list to find this item.
  4. Right-click the first USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then click Uninstall to remove it.
  5. Repeat step 4 for each USB controller that is listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers.
  6. Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.
  7. Check the USB device to see whether it is working.

plodr

Liz
Something doesn't fit.
You said in post #3
I'm on windows 7 32 bit.
Yet the screenshot in post #10 clearly shows Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.
Are you perhaps trying to install something for a 32 bit system instead of a 64 bit system?

winnie2018

Something doesn't fit.
You said in post #3
Yet the screenshot in post #10 clearly shows Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.
Are you perhaps trying to install something for a 32 bit system instead of a 64 bit system?
Yeah sorry got it wrong. Its 64 bit

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online