1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

usbstore.inf missing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Nick9, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick9

Nick9 Thread Starter

I have been told usbstore.inf & .pnf are missing meaning I cannot use my new WD My Passport 1TB disc I got for Christmas!
    XP to SP3 & USB2 works with other plug-ins but every place I Google for the file downloads wants me to buy various packages to download these drivers. MS appears to have abandoned them as I can only find them for 6.1. Is there anywhere I can download for free - they are not hiding in my system32 folder sofar as I can see!
    Thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

"have been told" by whom or what?

Look in C:\Windows\Inf

In any case, that is the inf for your USB. If other USB devices work, then you don't need to find it and it has nothing to do with the driver for your new drive. The new drive should be plug-and-play.

Have you used any tools that are supposed to "fix errors" or "clean" things that it thinks are unnecessary?

3. Nick9

Nick9 Thread Starter

I was directed to:
    http://ckon.wordpress.com/2011/04/08/windows-usb-problems-usbstor-inf/ as a possible solution to the problem by a techie friend of my daughter at university.
    I can't find c:\windows\inf but do have imf & intuit folders that would be either side of it!
    Yes, I have downloaded tools supposed to "fix errors" and done a scan but not "fixed the errors" as they always require a subscription and I am very wary about what they might also be doing "behind the scenes!" I have used the freeware CCleaner.
    The "Found new hardware" wizard runs - but then says it "cannot find the necessary software"!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!