1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Use 2nd wireless card to share internet connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Headlie, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Headlie

Headlie Thread Starter

Is it possible to share my internet connection with a 2nd wireless card?

Here's my scenario......I have free wifi at my apartment. But the signal is a little weak. My laptop's internal network card can pick up the signal, but my iPad doesn't see the network because the signal is too weak. I know my iPad can connect to the network, because I can pick up the signal on it in the laundry room.

So if I have a 2nd wireless card, can I share the internet connection to my iPad? I can't find a solution anywhere, everything I find is how to share a wired connection with a wifi card, but not share a wifi connection.
    Any ideas?

I'm running XP Pro

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No real difference. Set up an ad-hoc wireless network between laptop and iPad and then in the laptop bridge the connections or enable ICS on the connection that has internet access. Note that ICS will not work if the apartment network is using 192.168.0.x IP addresses.

3. Headlie

Headlie Thread Starter

The apartment network is using the 192.168.0.x IP range. I don't have access to the router to change the IP. Is there any workaround to make this work? Does the ad hoc network have to use the 192.168.0.x IP?

Thanks

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    ICS uses 192.168.0.x. Forget ICS and try bridging the connections. That will work unless their router has the bug that assigns a duplicate IP address to the 2nd computer (iPad).

If you get the dup. IP you could try assigning a static IP configuration on the iPad. The challenge there is that you have to guess on an IP--it needs to be outside the Dhcp server's address range and not one that is used by another device.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973716

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice