1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Use a Comp Power Supply as an ac adapter?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by compugeekpro, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. compugeekpro

compugeekpro Thread Starter

I have recently rescued a 15 inch viewsonic lcd monitor from being trashed at my work. I did not find the ac adapter for it and would like to use one of my old PSU's to run it. Since the power requirements for the monitor are 12.0V 3Amp, I assume I can just use the 12.0V rail on a standard PSU and attach a tip to it (which I have from a broken universal wall-wort). Will this work? Can't I use any power supply/ac adapter that is capable of supplying 3Amps or more of current as long as it is 12.0V? Thanks in advance.

BTW...I did try a duracell battery charger ac adapter that ran at 12.0V and 2.5A for a short period (as to not damage the ac adapter) and found that the monitor works fine (just has a little fraying on the VGA cable). So I know it is worth converting a supply for it.

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

A 12-volt supply capable of 3 amps or more is all you need. Just be sure the polarity is right.

I have a 12-port network switch in my shop that's been running off a 5-volt leg of an old computer power supply for several years. At the time, the manufacturer wanted as much for the power supply as I paid for the entire switch and power supply the year before. Old computer power supplies are plentiful around here.

3. compugeekpro

compugeekpro Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! I thought that was the case. I just found a game cube adapter that runs at 12.0V and 3.25 Amp (so close) from my friend. He had a game cube that got soda spilled on it ( :D ). Therefore, I get an easily portable ac adapter for nothing!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/666334

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice