Use ata with sata drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

senior geek

I am running a system with windows installed on a SATA hd, I have and older ATA hd drive that I would like to install as a backup drive. Do I set the ATA drive jumpers as slave or is there a different way to configure this.

Thanks

senior geek

Use an 80 wire IDE cable and set it to cable select. Otherwise, it would be a master on that channel if there's nothing else on that channel.

Look at your opticals too.

It depends how old the drive is, make it id on the end of the ribbon and set to master.
Also make sure PATA or IDE is enabled in bios, on newer boards ide is sometimes disabled by default

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The PATA and SATA drives are on separate controllers, so you can normally set the PATA drive to CS and stick it on either connector of the 80 conductor IDE cable. Put it on the end if you don't have another IDE device on the cable.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online