1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Use ATI or GeForce?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bigmike302, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bigmike302

bigmike302 Thread Starter

I was wondering if any of you graphic card experts can help me with a decision.
    Im currently rebuilding a older Pen III at 800mhz for a friend to use for just instant message programs and some older games like D2 and Age of empires.
    I have two video cards i can use:

GeForce2 MX400 AGP 64mb
    ATI Radeon 7000 AGP 64mb

All i was wondering was what one of the two with the newest drivers of course will be the all round better in performance? or is there even a diff?

Thanks for any ideas!

2. Cadet

Cadet

some graphics card experts here maybe able to help you out more but,

http://www.tomshardware.com have some great bench marks and your cards will probably be on there.

Cadet

3. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Niether, but I'd install them one at a time and run 3Dmark01 and whichever scored higher. If you didn't want to go to that trouble removing drivers etc. go with the one with the higher core and/or memory clock.

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

And to check them on newegg you need to know who made them. Wow, I didn't realize the cards had so many different clocks.

5. ohgrant

ohgrant

I had both, there was little difference in fps but I thought the radion had better image quality

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Radeon usually does have better image quality in 3D. Open GL Nvidia usually wins.

7. obvious

obvious

no way, nvidia all the way baby! anyway, can i have ur geforce card?i just blew mine out! typical! lol, dont worry, it was under warranty.

id use the geforce card, i turn my nose up at any ati card older than the 9700 series.

8. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

:D Fanboy.:p

9. obvious

obvious

yeah baby :D

10. bigmike302

well thanks for all the info guys but don't forget we are talking about a PEN III at only 800mhz so big pull on graphix aint that big of a issue, but now that I think of it what one has a faster clock speed? i cant seem to find that.

11. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

If you know the manufacturer of the cards you can go to www.newegg.com and pull them up and see. I think the Nvidia might win but the different makers played with the clocks so much I can't tell without knowing who made them.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I think the Geforce2 MX400 would be slightly better but the difference is minimal. The Radeon 7000 does not support Hardware Transform and Lightening while the Geforce2 does.

These tests seem to say so: http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030120/index.html

The Radeon has a 183Mhz clock and 366Mhz memory.
    The Geforce has a 200Mhz clock and 166Mhz or faster memory.
    Both speeds can vary between manufacturers, especially the Geforce card. You'll need to know the manufacturer and exact type of card - the MX400 can have 64 or 128 bit memory of either SDRAM or DDR RAM.

13. obvious

obvious

meh, i got the el-cheapo version of the MX-400, with 32mb or sdr ram. nice overclocker though, got an extra 50mhz gpu overclock and 75mhz memory o/c on her with only a tiny little heatsink. just imagine what she'll do with liquid nitrogen cooling :drool: 5000points in 3dmark01 here i come!

14. bigmike302

Yes figured it all out:
    My nvidia is slightly better with a clock speed of 200mhz.
    The Ati Radeon is slightly slower at 166mhz.
    Memory is same on both as 64mb

Thanks everyone

15. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

check the sig lol, tnt2 m64 o/c'ed those old cards are great for that, mine runs unreal tournament and battlefield nicely and any game but battle for middle earth. Curse you EA! :p

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326314

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice