Use DELL XPS hard drive in different XPS

3crows

I have a Dell XPS with Windows 7. Later, bought another XPS with Windows 7 on its hard drive as a back-up thinking that if the first one died I could use the hard drive from the first XPS in the backup XPS. I tried switching the hard drive to the backup XPS but it showed 'No Boot Device'. So its not reading my hard drive. Is there anything relatively easy I can do to get my backup XPS to read my original XPS hard drive or do I need to take it to a tech?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What's the exact 7-character "service tag" number on the original Dell XPS?
What's the exact version of Windows 7 that's installed in its hard drive?

What's the exact 7-character "service tag" number on the newer Dell XPS?
What's the exact version of Windows 7 that's installed in its hard drive?

---------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Couriant

James
That depends if the boot type is different. Under the BIOS screen check System Information and scroll down to Device Management to see if it shows a hard drive. If your BIOS is blue like an old style, let me know and I will see if I can get the information after you provide the Service Tag as requested (which can be found in the BIOS too if you don't see it underneath the metal flap)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online