Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Use hardware from one laptop to another laptop

Tags
ram
506 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
Can I use parts from a Toshiba i7 L855-s583 (ram, etc.) on a Dell 7240 or 7440 to increase ram, graphics, or performance? Both laptops would use windows 10.

Is there a good DIY guide for this?

#2 ·
If they use the same type of RAM, then yes.

I always use the Crucial System Scanner to check to see what's in a given system or, if one is not running, what they suggest as the correct memory for an upgrade. The information is applicable regardless of the brand of the memory.

I know of no DIY guides for cannibalizing hardware (and I have done this in the past). You have to do your homework regarding the compatibility of components in each machine and whether what you have in one will work in the other. Scavenging is an art, with lots of research behind it.

Reactions: Shoop8989
#3 ·
This will be my first attempt at tweaking hardware on a computer. Are there resources to use to find out which types of ram and other PC components will work with what? Next step is research but I would like a solid place on where to start and what to look for.

#4 ·
Can I use parts from a Toshiba i7 L855-s583 (ram, etc.) on a Dell 7240 or 7440 to increase ram, graphics, or performance? Both laptops would use windows 10.
What is the correct model number of that Toshiba laptop?
What is the exact serial number on it?

What is the correct model number of that Dell laptop?
What is the exact 7-character service tag number on it?

Once both of those laptops are correctly identified, it will be easier to help you and answer your questions.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.