1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Use Monitor to display Video Camera output?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alex Ethridge, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Is there a way to get the real-time output from a video camera onto a computer monitor without having to use a computer in between?

To be clear, all that will be present will be a video camera, a computer monitor, the necessary connecting cords

AND

whatever adapter box/device to adapt the video camera signal to a computer monitor.

2. rmay635703

rmay635703

Yes buy a video monitor or TV w/ rca/svideo. A sync converter costs more than a used RGB RCA/SVIDEO monitor or tv.

Cheers

3. Alex Ethridge

A video monitor or a TV is what we are trying to get away from.

The resolution is not as high as a computer monitor.

4. pronute

pronute

True a monitor is higher resolution, however it depends what the output device puts out if you connect the cameras output directly to the monitor and (yes this can be done) the resolution displayed will only be as high as the resolution that your camera puts out and would look worse on a SVGA monitor it will look like your looking at it threw Minnie blinds

5. Alex Ethridge

You are correct; but, we will have the option to go to a high-res camera and increase the output quality. With a TV as a monitor, a higher-res camera will make no difference.

6. pronute

pronute

7. rmay635703

rmay635703

There are monitors that already have Svideo and and RCA/Composite connections, I've picked up several for a couple $$ locally, most of those go up to 640x480 which is already clearer than most cameras actually display.

Many times you will find the image doesn't look any clearer on a monitor as compared to a TV (depends on how good the TV is)
    I have gone down the road your on and I'm not certain it will turn out as good as you think.

Whatever you decide,
    Good Luck

8. Alex Ethridge

I've already done it using a digital still camera and going through a computer and it looked better than with a standard-video-camera-to-TV setup.

I'm sure a Hi8 or Super VHS camera would produce a better image than the VHS we tried.

9. rmay635703

rmay635703

Plain VHS (approx 320x240 res) doesn't look good even on a tv (approx 512x??? res) you will definately get better results than VHS using svhs or hi8 whatever your display device. But remember most video cameras are never as clear as a good digital still camera

10. Alex Ethridge

My point stated exactly, precisely, accurately, definitively, in a particularly distinct fashion, etc., etc., etc.

11. rmay635703

rmay635703

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170031

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice