1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

use my pc as a offline fax

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by djc45, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. djc45

djc45 Thread Starter

can i use my pc as a fax machine when it is connected to the phone socket without connected to the internet

2. letchworth

letchworth

Sure, if you have a dial-up modem and fax software. (The software probably came with your modem).

letchworth

3. djc45

djc45 Thread Starter

yes i have a fax modem on the pc but no cd for it
    how can i set it up please

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

5. djc45

djc45 Thread Starter

thanks for the info and i followed the instructions but when i got to install the windows componet it asks for a disk but i never had a disk when i bought the laptop and it was new
    the file bckg.chm is missing type in the path where the file can be located and it shows C:\i386
    i tried that but it did nothing
    greatful for more help
    my laptop is just over 1year old by about 3 weeks

6. Martial33

Martial33

First Name:
    Phil
    right in windows software (XP for sure - maybe some other versions as well) there is a fax program.

You have to put the disk in, go to start / control panel / add remove programs / add windows components - go down the list till you see fax, check it and install it.

as long as you have a phone modem and a phone line it should work

please respect CRTC and other broadcast laws and defietly dont let your fax program run before 0900 or after 2000hrs (also if you are faxing into different time zones, keep that in mind)

I get faxes at all hours. In my case I cant shut off the ringer because my faxes go to a server and I get a notification call (to my cell, home phone and email) so I dont want to shut off my house phone just to avoid fax rings.

2) I wouldent buy anything from someone who faxes me allt het ime inspite me asking to get off thier list. Thats no way to "Win Friends and Influence People"

7. letchworth

letchworth

You may need to buy a new restore CD from manufacturer (Dell- I believe)-- Just contact them and they should be able to help you. Most of the time the Restore CD comes with the machine-- but sometimes the 40-cents to produce one is a corner the manufacturers are willing to cut (replacement will be more than 40 cents-- but shouldn't be too expensive).

letchworth

8. djc45

djc45 Thread Starter

thanks for the help and info

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537007

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice