Use of Group Policy

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jima

Okay, I've done some research on XP Professional Group Policy, and have browsed the interface via the gpedit.msc

Now I'm ready to make a huge step (for me anyway) and that is disabling some features on my kid's "limited" XP accounts. Before I make any changes, however, I need to know I'm going about this in the right way.

I have 3 accounts set up on my laptop: 1 admin account, 2 limited accounts for my kids.

My Goal: to remove ready access to IE, Windows Updates, Add/Remove Programs, My Computer (so they can't delete any files from any directories), or anything else that a 4 year old and 7 year old might do to wreak havoc or go places they shouldn't be when I'm turning my back for a moment. Note that I say "ready" access to these things. I do understand that there are many ways to go about invoking/navigating to these applications/areas, but I figure I've got a while yet before my 7 year old figures out how to circumvent things. Removing the IE icon from the desktop, for example, should be enough for now.

I have been told using Group Policy will enable me to do this. I'm game to try this, but I've also read where I could render my entire machine useless even to the admin account. Soooo, I'm a little hesitant to do so.

Q: From my research, I'm assuming that as long as I'm logged into my kid's "User Configuration" in GP and I DON'T touch anything in "Computer Configuration", then I'll be okay. Is this true?

Q: Does the "User Configuration" group policies only affect the user under which I am logged on to? In other words, I would have to do this twice, once for each limited account? Remember, this is a home pc for pleasure, I have no reason to make overall "computer configurations".

Q: I suppose I can always blow away the kid's limited account when logged in as admin and start over if I screw up. Is this true?

Q: Should I take a System Restore Point before doing anything? If I screw up, will this reset everything back the way it was, or am I messing too deep into the system for recovery?

Thanks in advance to everyone who can provide answers and/or any tips in doing this. It's not that I want to do much - I just don't want to screw up being the lame Windows user I am.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online