1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Use Outlook with free (canceled) AOL email

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by willf20, Mar 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. willf20

willf20 Thread Starter

Hi all, and thanks in advance...

I use Outlook 2003 for email. I had an AOL account set up in Outlook that worked fine. I canceled AOL and the email account turns into a free account.

Now, Outlook cannot send/receive on the AOL account. It asks me for the username and password continuously.

I think the problem is related to the fact that, when a person cancels AOL, their email address turns to @aim.com instead of @aol.com. I've tried changing to imap.aim.com and smtp.aim.com. I've also changing my email address listed as [email protected]

I've done searches and cannot find an answer. AOL won't help me since I don't have a paying account.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Augie65

Augie65

I believe that you can only receive your email through IM and not through Outlook or email program.

3. willf20

willf20 Thread Starter

Well, I can still check email at aol.com. I didn't have to do anything with my email once I canceled. It changes to a free account automatically, so I'm sure that my email account still uses the same servers. It's just frustrating.

Can anyone confirm that a free AOL email account is not compatible with Outlook?

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi willf20

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

Was the AOL account originally setup as a POP account?
    If so, have your recreated the account as an IMAP account?

5. willf20

willf20 Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick responses, guys.

The email account was originally set up in Outlook (and always by AOL) as IMAP/SMTP. I have not changed that.

6. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Can you post the exact error message please.
    Just to see if it works there, have you tried setting it up in Outlook Express?

7. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

8. willf20

willf20 Thread Starter

I tried with Outlook Express and get the same thing. The exact error message is "LOGIN Failed. Incorrect name and/or password, please re-enter."

9. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Did Outlook Express give you any specific error codes?

10. willf20

willf20 Thread Starter

No, just the message posted above. It seems like something on the AOL side, but I can't seem to find the answer.

11. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

12. willf20

willf20 Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. My outgoing port is already set to 587.

13. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Anything in either of the two links I posted helpful?

14. willf20

willf20 Thread Starter

No luck. I just read through both of them and tried anything I have not tried already.

15. willf20

willf20 Thread Starter

Man, thanks for all of your help. I still can't figure it out, though. It's got to have something to do with the conversion of my email to a free account.

I'm getting really frustated, though, as I've worked on this for a few weeks now. I'm getting ready to just close that email account.

If you do find a solution, let me know. Otherwise, thanks again for your help.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/451704

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice