1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Use Router as Repeater Wireless and Wired

Discussion in 'Networking' started by spartanbo, Sep 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spartanbo

spartanbo Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

I've been researching this for about an hour trying to figure out the best way to do this.

I'm an EMT and I work 24 hour shifts. We have a station in a business complex and there is a restaurant across the street with free wifi. We can connect to it, but barely. We get low speed and frequent disconnects. They know we use it and they don't mind. We pretty much eat there daily anyway.

I had an old omni directional antenna laying around, and made a cantenna with it. What I want to do is buy a cheap router with two antennas and replace one of the antennas with the cantenna. That way I could use the cantenna to reach the free wifi, and the non-directional antenna to broadcast to our station.

Now, I also have an xbox in the station that I would like to connect to the same router through ethernet.

So, my question is, can I connect my xbox through ethernet to the same router I'm using as a repeater? Thats what I couldn't find info on. If I can't then I'll probably end up buying a xbox wireless dongle and hooking up my cantenna to it.

Thanks!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Most restaurants provide their Wi-Fi for customers while on premises, but I'll take your word for it that you have their permission.

Some routers can be used as a Repeater or Wireless Bridge ("extend" a wireless network to an ethernet segment). I think, but am not positive, that there are a few that can operate in both modes. Don't expect to find a cheap router with this capability, unless there is 3rd party firmware for it.

3. prunejuice

prunejuice

So you want to game on your XBOX...during your EMT shift...with a restaurant's free wifi...using your cantenna...

Now I've heard it all.

:rolleyes:

4. spartanbo

spartanbo Thread Starter

Ya. The restaurant has tried moving the router to the corner of the building so its closer to us so they're cool with it.

When you say 3rd party, do you mean like DD-WRT? I read the wiki about it and saw that it has a repeater function but I couldn't figure out if it can do wired at the same time.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes.

6. spartanbo

spartanbo Thread Starter

Okay. I'll give their forums a try.

Thanks

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1018442

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice