1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Use same HDD on new machine.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mr Meddle, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Meddle

Mr Meddle Thread Starter

I'm almost done building a new machine for a friend. He's not keen on all the hassle of reinstalling software on the new machine then adding all the personal touches again.

I wondered if it might be possible to take the HDD out of his existing machine - giving him two HDDs, and making this transplanted drive the master drive and renaming it C: and renaming the new HDD to E:

To my way of thinking, the new machine should boot up from the transplanted drive and boot the OS (WinXP), which should find and install the new hardware in the new machine then continue to run as if it was the old but with the faster CPU and bigger RAM of the new machine.

This would obviously save heaps of time reinstalling WinXP, Office, Antivirus plus backed up data, emails etc. etc. etc.

Any reason why this idea might not work?:confused:

2. holness_202

holness_202

intheory yes although afaik its always best to do a clean install of windows with a new mobo to prevent hardware confilicts

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644095

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice