1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

use TV for a monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by krapper61, Jan 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. krapper61

krapper61 Thread Starter

I want to use a TV for a monitor. I know the resolution will be crappy but I have no choice. What kind of hardware do I need to connect the computer to a TV? What about audio?

Thanks,

Jim

2. slipe

slipe

You need a video card with TV out.

You will have to jerry rig something from the sound card to the aux input on the TV if you want the sound to come from the TV.

3. krapper61

krapper61 Thread Starter

Do most low end video cards hav TV out?

Jim

4. Monk_

Monk_

Or you can use a scan converter between the PC and the TV and get pretty good resolution. Your TV need to have a video in jack.
    Audio is through your PC soundcard.

5. slipe

slipe

6. chevy4x4trucks

chevy4x4trucks

I've got an ATI all in wonder card on a dell of mine w/ a tv out for watching downloaded movies and gaming. It was 150 bucks for the 32 meg which I got and 120 for the 16 meg. CompUSA had some converter device that works w/ any type of setup, but I needed a 3D card.

Do you need a PCI or AGP?

I've got a PCI and they are very hard to find. AGP one's are a bit cheaper and there are more of them. Text is really hard to read on the TV

7. chevy4x4trucks

chevy4x4trucks

Here's a pic of mine in action, this is w/ Gladiator playing on it (downloaded it)

[​IMG]

Just the desktop.
    [​IMG]

8. krapper61

krapper61 Thread Starter

Looks like I got it narrowed down to a TView Gold (external). Anybody got any experience with this one?

Jim:)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65351

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice