1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Use Two Separate Internet Connections On Same Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cap2587, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

I am looking to get some help with hooking up an additional router to a network. Here is how it is configured and my questions.

Internet connection come from an ethernet port in the wall. Cat 5 then goes to the switch and then to various computers.

Desktop #1 has a IP of 10.1.1.133, sub 255.255.255.0, default gateway 10.1.1.200, DNS 10.1.1.4

I want to be able to attach a cat5 cable to the LAN port of a Linksys WRT 54G going from the switch.

What is the settings I need to select in the Linksys router for this to work.

DHCP - Off. I guess the LAN IP of the router must fall in the range of the Main DHCP pool. Could I select anything in the 10.1.1 100's as long as another computer did not have the same IP. The starting IP of the linksys router stays in 192.168.1...... and doesn't looked like it can be changed. Does any Laptop that connects wirelessly to the linksys router need a static IP or can it obtain an IP address through automatic configuration DHCP. Hopefully I have made sense describing the set up. Appreciate any help.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you are probably better off putting the switch after the router

Wall Socket >> Router >> switch >> PCs

having said that however,
    What IP address are given to the other PCS - is the wall socket attached to another router and giving out the IP addresses

if so then you can connect the router up as a 2nd router following the process below

Is this an apartment or business ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together
    From a John Will Post :)

http://library.techguy.org/wiki/Connecting_two_SOHO_broadband_routers_together

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

no it cna be outside the DHCP pool - so
    so usually between 10.1.1.1 and 10.1.1.254 - unusual to see a gateway of 10.1.1.200 - and so this IP cannot be used
    yes, looks like that on the emulator - if the wall socket is providing the DHCP- then you would disable the DHCP on this router and set the IP to one of the 10.1.1.x

depends on how you go about setting up - but should work automatically

theres an emulator online for that router - maybe usefull as we can then see what you are doing
    http://ui.linksys.com/WRT54G/v8/8.00.0/

3. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

Etaf,

Thanks for such a detailed and very helpful reply to my post. It is a business that I am setting it up and do not have the option to go router before switch.

I definitely think the wall socket is attached to another router and IP address. This is the settings I would use for setting up Linksys router. Disable DHCP. Use Lan IP as 10.1.1.x. I cannot change the starting IP in Linksys router from 192.168.1.x as it is in bold and unchangeable. Does this matter or will there be a conflict. Can my LAN IP on the linksys router be 10.1.1.202. If so what IP range does the computers fall into connecting to this Linksys router. Seems like computers connecting to Main router are 10.1.1.2-10.1.1.199 Is the range bw the starting IP and the LAN IP address and how does this relate to the first router IP range. Hopefully I am making some sense. I am very close to understanding all of this, but just need some final tips to answer above questions.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    no as you have disabled DHCP anyway

yes, providing noone else is using that IP otherwise there will be a conflict
    The DHCP will be from the other router , and the router you are connecting will just be another switch with a wireless facility - so the range will be the same as currently

Make sure you connect NOT to the internet port but to one of the LAN 1-4 ports on the router to switch

as i say effectively you are not adding a router but another switch with wireless

5. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

That information is helpful. Does it matter if the LAN IP for the Linksys router is inside the DHCP Range or outside. 10.1.1.202 or 10.1.1.198. How does the Linksys router know what IP to assign the computers connecting to it. Thanks.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i would put outside the range - that way just in case theres a glich and someone is assigned the same IP as the router and then the router connects you dont get an ip conflict and people kicked off

so do you actually know the IP range currently for the DHCP service ?

you disable the dhcp service on the linksys - so it does not act as a router - just a switch - and so the device that is currently giving out IP addresses will continue to do that, to any device that is connected by LAN or wireless connected to the linksys. The linksys does not give out any IP address

7. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

Here is the latest from setting up the Linksys router and connecting via a laptop.

I set DHCP to off and went with a LAN IP in the router of 10.1.1.202 I connected via 1 of the 4 internet ports.

When I used select IP Automatically on my PC and MAC I could not connect. When I used a static IP address I was able to connect, but it was very intermittent.

IP 10.1.1.143
    Sub 255.255.0.0
    DG 10.1.1.200
    DNS 10.1.1.4

What is the deal with the Subnet mask? ON the PC connected directly connected to the switch this is 255.255.255.0, however when I added in the extra 255 on my static IP settings I could not connect on my Laptop. The onlt time I could connect was with the above static IP settings. Any ideas would be appreciated.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can we see an ipconfig /all when connected to the switch
    without the router and set to automatic

9. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

The configuration of the desktop connected to the switch is as follows:

10.1.1.111 IP
    255.255.255.0 Sub
    10.1.1.200 D.G

10.1.1.4 DNS
    10.1.1.6 DNS

Thanks for the help

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    and that automatic DHCP

i'm a little out of my knowledge now - i deal mainly in domestic networks setting up a couple of routers

so not sure why it will not work through the router - you have got it connected to the switch from one of the LAN1-4 ports on the router

11. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

The latest setting to work was on my Iphone with:

It does not automatically pick up after the Iphone has gone to sleep. However, when it is on a static IP with the above settings it works. Is there anyway that the router is not functioning correctly and is on it's last legs.

Why has the desktop connected to the switch got 255.255.255.0 and the Iphone has 255.255.0.0? Appreciate your help.

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    sorry outside my depth of knowledge now
    see if i can find anything out

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I definitely think that you should be getting advice and maybe help from the IT department.

If you have a Windows PC please show the following for a connection to the wall port and again for a connection to the Linksys after configuring it as a switch per post # 2.

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

14. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

TerryNet, Thanks for chipping in on this topic. I do agree that it is a job for the IT staff at my business. At the least I would love to have a thorough understanding of how to correctly set up this second router as a switch/access point. Below is the desktop directly attached to the switch.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\tennis>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : TENNISMGR
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : prc.local
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : prc.local

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : prc.local
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 78-45-C4-25-80-6A
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::714d:81d7:c2f8:8d23%11(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.111(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, February 08, 2013 11:12:15 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, February 09, 2013 11:12:14 AM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.200
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.200
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 242763204
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-18-1C-B9-2E-78-45-C4-25-80-6A

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.6
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.prc.local:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

C:\Users\tennis>

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does "switch" mean the wall port or the WRT 54G?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088219

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice