1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

use win xp to protect wi fi?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dave115, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dave115

dave115 Thread Starter

hi,

is it possible to use windows xp to put protection (like wep or wpa) on my wi fi?

thanks for any help in advance!

2. kfpc

kfpc

This type of wireless encryption is put on by the router broadcasting the wireless signal and doesn't have anything to do with windows :)

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What is the source of the wireless connection? This is typically a wireless router, which is the device that determines the level of encryption used on the link.

4. dave115

dave115 Thread Starter

source is a netgear router which is proving an absolute pain!! it won't let me put security on the router and i've tried resetting the router countless times but it still won't let me login when i enter www.routerlogin.net into the internet.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you mean you reset the router to factory default settings, I think the first time you attempt to access the router you are supposed to use www.routerlogin.net/basicsetting.htm. At least that is the way it is supposed to work with my Netgear WGR614v5.

I have better luck just using the address (192.168.1.1). I had trouble my first time accessing it. Tried the above URL, then the address, then restarted the PC; then looped thru the same steps 2 or 3 times before it gave up and let me access it.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think I'd just use the IP address. I've never had an issue with multiple models of Netgear routers just logging into the router directly.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/663139

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice