1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Use Windows Updates to find Driver Updates

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dr Dave, Mar 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dr Dave

Dr Dave Thread Starter

Use Windows Update to find driver updates

In Windows Update click Custom Install in the main column, and then click Select optional hardware updates in the left-hand column.

Windows Update examines all parts of your system to determine what needs updating and it may recommend more than just driver updates. It's a good idea to visit Windows Update regularly for driver updates and other non-critical updates.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Personally I would avoid any driver updates that Windows update may suggest and go only for the drivers from the actual device makers website.

I have had "bad experiences" with both Network Card and Graphics Card drivers from Windows updates. Never again.

3. junker39

junker39

Same here. Sometimes what their update scan says you need is not always correct. Right now, it says I need a video driver update when I have the lastest from ATI already installed along with the Radlinker program. M$ doesn't always know best.

4. bobol

bobol

Ditto on that kiwiguy/junker, I similarly have a network update that I'm not touching again. But that driver update check is worth noting just to see what drivers you 'might' actually need. For example I saw a ati driver update available at the Windows site, and then went to the ATI site; there I found info that my current driver shouldn't be updated if there are no problems-so that too I'm not touching.

It's good that Windows alerts you to know that drivers are available, but then check at the original manufacturer's site to see if these are essential-since it seems they aren't in fact 'critical' updates on some occasions.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Using Windows update for drivers is a BAD IDEA! I've been nuked twice over the years when Microsoft incorrectly identified what driver I required. If you want to update your drivers, go to the source and download the proper driver.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/345104

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice