1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Use wireless DSL router as plain old access point?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by slugdugg, Aug 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slugdugg

slugdugg Thread Starter

I currently have a wired home network that utilizes a DSL modem/router that performs NAT etc. I have a couple computers plugged into a 4 port hub connected to the router.

I want to add wireless for a couple laptops, but dont want to replace any of my wired connections. I figure that this is what Access Points are for.. I can just plug the AP into a port on the hub, then let my laptops connect to the AP.

But for some reason the wireless Routers/switches are cheaper right now than plain old APs.. so my question is.. can i buy a wireless router/switch and use it just as an access point, not utilizing any of its NAT etc capabilities?

Thanks in advance!

2. Al-Firdaus

Al-Firdaus

3. slugdugg

slugdugg Thread Starter

Ahh.. i see. But is this a third type of equipment.. a combination router/access point?... or are all wireless routers capable of acting as access points?

Thanks for the link!

4. jmouton

jmouton

I had the same question as SlugDugg, but the link provided in Al-Firdaus's answer didn't take me anywhere useful. I've replaced an SMC Barricade 802.11a Wireless router with SMC's newer 802.11g Barricade. I'd like to use the old router as an access point, but I can't get it to work properly. Can ping everything on the LAN, but can't get out to the internet via browser or email.

5. panzer999

panzer999

6. Travusio

Travusio

yeah you could do that.

just disable the DHCP and then put the router to ROUTER MODE not to gateway mode.
    so the connection would be from the switch is, from the regular port of the switch to the regular port of the router. just be sure you have a DHCP or put the pc to static with the necessary information like IP add, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS. and that should work

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/152304

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice