1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Use wireless printer from direct connection to modem?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by peck1234, Feb 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. peck1234

peck1234 Thread Starter

My main computer is hardwired directly to the modem. I then have a wire from the modem going to my router of choice that is connected to my wireless printer. Is there anyway I can print from my wired connection on my PC since the router and modem are connected?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is the device you label as "modem" a modem/router combo with multiple LAN ports? If not, we need you to describe your network.

If you are using the second router as ethernet switch and wireless access point only then the answer to your question is 'yes.'

If you are daisy-chaining the routers then I'm 99% sure that the answer is 'no.' Unless the printer has email capability and that is enabled.

3. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Terry, I respectfully disagree with that. If OP has/adds a wifi or bluetooth dongle AND the printer has a capability for WiFi direct and/Or Bluetooth? Then it can be done. But obviously it'll take some tweaking and would disconnect others from using the WiFi printer while directly connected. But it can be done.

@peck1234 Why do you have a machine directly connected to the modem, yet still a router with wifi devices connected. It'd be nice to know, as Terry said, the exact setup of your network.

4. peck1234

peck1234 Thread Starter

The Main Modem/Router Combo I am hard wired into with my PC and I have the internal router (wifi) turned off. I have a more expensive router hooked up from the main modem/router combo with a cat5 cable for better range. Only 1 network.

PC is plugged into main modem/router with cat5. (network is off)
    Cat 5 - to better router where wireless printers are all hooked up.

Im trying to print from hard wired connection. Reason for direct connection to the modem/router with my PC is for the best possible speeds running a 1gb connection.

5. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    @peck1234 .
    You'll never utilize a 1gb ethernet connection to a modem. Your internet connection simply, with few exceptions, isn't fast enough. If that's the only reason? I'd connect the modem to the router's WAN port and then all the devices to its LAN ports. Utilizing WiFi as well, obviously.

Be advised that you may need to have your modem set to bridge mode. It depends on the type of connection you have.

That will allow all traffic through to the router which then will handle DHCP, Firewall (if available) and traffic between all your devices. You can then just install the drivers for the printer and print directly to it. I do recommend that you set a DHCP reservation for the printer so it always gets the same IP. Or you can manually set a static IP in the printer. Either way, the result will be the same.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Morten, when there are both ethernet and wireless segments on one LAN they act as one LAN. A device (e.g., a computer) connected by ethernet can communicate with a device connected by Wi-Fi (e.g., a printer). My all-in-one printer is connected via Wi-Fi and one of my laptops (essentially used as a desktop) has its wireless "permanently" switched off and is connected by ethernet and prints fine (when the printer is not acting up).

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    Providing that both the printer and the computer are on the same subnet (i.e. 192.168.x.y) then you can print to it.

Make sure that the printer is either has a static IP via the router (DHCP Reserve) or you manually add it. Then ping the IP from the computer. If you can ping it, then use the printer software or manually add the printer.

8. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Terry, that's what I meant as well. I think you misunderstood what I meant. If he has his pc connected directly to the modem may get a public IP address and therefore not be on the same subnet. For that he'd need a second device.
    That's why I recommended that he remove the direct connection from modem to PC and connect modem to router and than all devices through there.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Now I understand, Morten. I assumed that the "modem" is a modem/router combo (which peck1234 has now confirmed in post # 4). Even when my assumptions are correct they can get me in trouble. :(

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    This would mean that the wireless connection was turned off, so the LAN connections will still get a private IP from the router component from the modem gateway and the second router is set up to also use the same configuration.

If it was set up to get a Public IP then there would be issues ;) :)

@peck1234 do you still need assistance?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1239915

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice