1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

use xp hdd on win98 machine

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jalukas, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jalukas

jalukas Thread Starter

My XP machine just gave up the ghost - however, the hdd is fine. So, I had the bright (I thought) idea of just putting the hdd on another, unused, machine that I had, boot up and just continue working. Well, it doesn't boot. I changed the BIOS so that at least it recognizes the xp hdd, but when it starts to boot xp, I get a blue screen that flashes by so quickly I have been unable to pause in time to see it, and then the machine reboots.

The old (win98) machine is pretty hefty, 2GHz, so I'm sure it will support XP. I had a suspision that it is because the hdd is NTFS (instead of FAT32 like the Win98 hdd), but when I got the BIOS to recognize it, I thought I was over that hump. Wrong, again.

I have been hunting around to see if this problem has already been answered somewhere. I only found one reference; in it, the writer made reference to changing a strap, but no particulars.

Any help appreciated.

2. shinybeast

shinybeast

The Windows installation is tied to the hardware on the dead computer. It won't work in the other machine. You would have to reinstall XP with the drive in the other machine so the proper drivers are installed and configured and Windows knows what it's working with.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Try to boot up in Safe Mode, if you're very lucky it will get to the Desktop and then ask for and/or install the correct drivers for the new PCs hardware.

If that doesn't work you could try a 'repair' install of XP.

Personally I would format the drive at the start of a 'clean' install of XP, IMO that's the only way to get a stable and reliable XP.

4. bbearren

bbearren

If this is an OEM version of XP, its license died with your XP machine.

If this is a retail version of XP, all you need to do is boot from your XP CD and do a repair/reinstall. I prefer this guide.

That will install drivers for the current hardware, and get it to boot. You may have to download and update a driver or two, but you shouldn't have much trouble, and all your applications and files will be just as you last saw them.

5. jalukas

jalukas Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply.

juju68 -

Are you certain? The reason I ask is that I have swapped hard drives between machines many times (I used to configure donated machines for a charity to give away to clients), and never had any trouble before. Admittedly, this was years ago, and the machines were primarily win98. I'd plug in the new drive, windows would (normally) update itself and go on its' merry way. Is this an XP "feature"? Does it only prevent swapping between XP and older windows machines, or would the same thing happen if I were to swap between XP machines? Is it because my original XP machine was an OEM (Dell)?

managed -

Can't get to safe mode. I F8 into the list of options, select safe mode, it just reboots. Interestingly, before it reboots, it asks me to select the desired OS, listing only:

MS XP Pro

After I pick it and select safe mode, I get a bunch of lines like:

mult(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

which zip by pretty fast. Using pause, I *think* the last one is:

mult(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys

Interestingly, I get the same thing if I select safe mode with command prompt.

TIA.

6. bbearren

bbearren

As I stated in my previous reply, if your XP is OEM, then its license died with the OEM machine. Further help with this issue is a violation of the site's rules.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755533

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice