1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Useable Browser for Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by muckmail, Feb 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

It there a usable browser for Windows XP professional Edition?

If so where is a site I download it?

I prefer to download it to a thumb drive and install it on the
    XP machine off line.

Thank you,

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

3. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

Where a good reliable site where I could down load Opera 36.
    It looks like a browser worth trying.
    Thnak you,

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The only browser for Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit that's not severely outdated is Mozilla Firefox 52.9.0 ESR
    Security updates for it ended in September 2018, so it's only a few months out of date.

Any other browser that you attempt to use won't install or will be severely outdated.
    A severely outdated browser won't support certain websites or won't allow them to load properly.
    A severely outdated browser also leaves your computer wide open to security-related exploits.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

6. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    I remembered reading of this:

https://www.techworld.com/download/internet-tools/pale-moon-2840-3249253/

I think it might only work on 32 bit Win XP.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to its website, Pale Moon 28.4.0 is supported only with Windows 7 and 8.1 and 10.

Opera 36 is extremely outdated. Its current version is 58.

----------------------------------------------------------------

8. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    That's unfortunate. I thought there might have been an update after a reconsideration. Obviously not.

Time moves on and there just aren't enough XP users to warrant the effort to continue support.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I use Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit in my spare computer only for testing purposes.
    It's set up to allow it to keep receiving security updates until they come to an end for good in April 2019.
    Its Firefox 52.9.0 ESR browser is 5 months out-of-date and fewer up-to-date programs are supporting it.
    It will have survived for 17-1/2 years when it becomes "extinct" in 2 months, so it has had a long run. (y)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Johnny b likes this.
  10. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Have you gotten your money's worth yet? :D

11. lunarlander

lunarlander

Outdated browsers are a security risk, but one can compensate for it by using Sandboxie. It makes the browser think that a special folder is the entire hard drive, and all things downloaded intentionally or otherwise goes into that folder. Sandboxie helps to move the intentional downloads out to the real Downloads folder and the sandbox folder can be wiped anytime.

12. cornemuse

cornemuse

I am using this:

https://portableapps.com/news/2018-07-10--firefox-portable-legacy-52.9.0-released

You can install it on your hdd, its faster than on a thumb drive. It is completely in the folder where its installed. (you can save to your hdd of course)

000000.jpg

I use 52.9 & 29.(?) Have some links in the others I will eventually save to 52.9

29 handles multiple tabs very well, not so 52, is why.
    Copy ffport52 & paste to thumb, total backup, paste to another comp, identical to 1st comp, (other than if you save stuff to hdd <-- a simple fix.

-c-

13. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    The best way to browse securely on an XP computer is to use a current Live linux "written" to a USB stick. Boot from that and use a secure, patched browser that is part of the linux distro.

Johnny b likes this.
  14. lunarlander

lunarlander

And don't forget to unplug the HD first before booting the LiveCD, as the Linux can mount the HD and write to it.

15. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    It's been my impression that Puppy Linux only writes back to a mounted hard drive if the Puppy configuration is set to locate the save file there.

I've been using Racy 5.5 ( Live DVD ) on a Toshiba Laptop that has XP installed on the hard drive.
    The save file is located on the DVD and there is no evidence of Puppy writing to the hard drive. I do unmount the HD when I first boot up, though.

What other Linux Live distros do, I'm not aware of.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223520

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice