Used computer problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

blessed1202

Hey everyone! I hope someone can help with this. I recently aquired a used computer. It came from an apartment complex that has a computer room where residents can get the internet and use other programs. My problem is it will only allow me in on the tenant side. I have no admin. privileges. When I asked the manager about how to get admin rights she said the computer had been a replaced by new ones a long time ago and she didn't know how to get the rights. It runs NT4 and it will not allow me to update, install a printer, format or anything. I've taken out the CMOS battery and put it back in, allowing me to get in without a password, but only on the tenants logon. Is there a way of getting the rights through the registry or command prompt?
Thanks!

there are ways to crack the password, but if you have the disk handy, and dont need to save any files, I would boot to a floppy, and do a format/re-install of whatever version of windows you want. NT 4 is not the most user friendly for general in home use.

blessed1202

how could I get a boot floppy? I don't think the computer will allow me to do that either. Is there a way of getting one without using that particular computer?
I totally agree--I don't like NT and would really like to change the os.

cybertech

Retired Moderator
What ever OS you purchase will offer to format the disk for you.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online