Used laptop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

buckslayer

Hello all

I got this laptop used from a friends niece.
It is an IBM thinkpad 600E running windows ME

It's got a few problems I can't figure out.

First when you turn it on and the black IBM thinkpad screen comes up you hear a very loud screech that lasts about 10 seconds.

Second it sometimes freezes after you click on one thing after startup.
and sometimes you can open somethings but not control panel or My computer.

Third it won't conect to internet. I am using Comcast internet.
It has some kind of thinkpad modem installed plus a Megahertz PCMCIA ETHERNET card with XJACK connector 10 Mbps LAN adapter,the sticker on back sayes Model XJ10BT or XJ10BC.

Also in control panel under Device Manager in system properties there is the Hard disk controllers when you click it two are listed and the first one sayes
Intel 82371AB/EBPCI Bus Master IDE Controller with a yellow !
the second one listed sayes
Standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard Disk Controller NO yellow !

When I open the first one that has the ! under Device status it sayes
this device is causing a resource conflict (CODE 15)
I go to Resources and it has A Conflicting device list It sayes the input/output range 01F0-01F7 used by Standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard Disk Controller and
input/Output Range 03F6-03F6 used by Standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard Disk Controller

That Standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard Disk Controller is the other controller under device manager that doesn't have a ! by it.

This is confusing me so any help will be greatly appreciated

The first thing I would Llike to get working is the internet so I can use it on here for help and to post any scans and HJT logs and such and to check it it needs any updates or if I need to download any drivers and stuff

I think the person that had it before used dial up for internet so I think I have to disable or uninstall all the stuff for that but not sure what all has to do with that

I would first reload the entire system using the restore disks that should have come with it.

Without the disks you probably won't get far anyway, as whatever you do is likely to need the original disks, in my experience. Do you have them?

You (at a minimum) need to reload all the chipset drivers, they seem to be missing.

buckslayer

No disks
Just the laptop alone.

I have windows 98 SE
Can I run kill disk on this laptop and like do a clean install on windows 98SE???

buckslayer

Think I screwed it up good now

I ran fdisk to install win98

now win 98 startup floppy doesn't install driver for cd-rom
I can't install the OS disk cause the cd-rom wont even open now.

any suggestions??

Go to BootDisk.com for your boot disk. They include 3 or 4 CD-ROM drivers on each. Click on the Read1st link on the top right for information.

buckslayer

I just tried your suggestion Augie65

I think I am not downloading them right or something

I make the disk and try to use it and laptop sayes non-system disk or disk error

Please help anyone.

buckslayer

I got it up and running with win 98SE on it

But now the graphics suck I only have 16 bit color

it looks like it is running in safe mode but it's not

any help please

buckslayer

Thanks awergh
but I went to IBM website and got the correct driver there.

Everything is working perfect

Thanks alot for all the advice everyone.
Dang this site is great, you guys rule.
everyone is so helpful and very nice also.
I tell anyone I know who is haveing problems to come to this site and check it out
thanks again everyone.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online