Used Lenovo windows 8 recovery disc to try and install Windows 8. Can't boot pc now

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

NotU7

So my dad wanted to upgrade his windows Vista gateway computer at work to windows 8 because my brother had what we thought was a Windows 8 install disc. There were three discs, Lenovo Windows 8 recovery media disc 1, 2, and Windows 8 pro operating system recovery disc. I backed up all the documents and pics and things I thought he might need and put in the first recovery media disc, turned off the computer, told the boot to use that disc, and let it do it's thing until it said to put in Windows 8 Pro operating system recovery disc. It said recovery failed. It didn't seem like it was going to do anything so I hit cancel, and now I can't boot the pc at all. Everytime I try to do something, it goes to a black screen with some copyright stuff on it, and DHCP spins for a bit, and it says Reboot and Select proper boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key. Was using the recovery discs a bad idea because it seemed to have started erasing things and then failed part way through. Can I even get back to Vista by doing like loading an old system restore point?

Update: I tried putting in the Windows 8 recovery discs again and got no recognition at all, the same with the Windows 98 disc I found (I know). So I revealed the issue to my dad and he said that since our computer is 6 years old, he had been looking online and found a $200 refurbished computer. We decided to get a new computer, basically.

Last edited:

TerryNet

Terry
I'm surprised that the Lenovo Recovery didn't notice the incorrect hardware and quit immediately. But since it apparently did wipe something out before failing you will probably have to use the proper Vista recovery DVDs (assuming you have them or can still buy them from Gateway) to get going again.

If Windows 8.1 is wanted you can probably still buy a Installation DVD. Has any check been made to assure that the PC will run Windows 8 or 8.1?

NotU7

We looked around and couldn't find the Vista recovery discs and we were hoping not to buy windows 8 since I still have a product key I'm not gonna use and we thought my brother had a disc. Which clearly was not the recovery discs as we now found out. I didn't do the actual windows 8 check application but I checked the system requirements and the computer was all good.

NotU7

I tried that too, but it wouldn't work. My operating system is too old. From what I've read, to upgrade from Vista to 8 or 8.1, you have to have the disc

TerryNet

Terry
The created "installation media" can be a DVD or USB flash drive. (Did you notice that I gave a link in the previous post?)

valis

Will that hardware even support w8? I dont know of any vista to 8 swaps of yet. At least none successful.

NotU7

Ah sorry TerryNet, I guess I just assumed I knew what you were talking about. No I haven't tried that, I didn't have a flash drive or blank dvd the last time I was with the computer. If I were to get it on a flash drive, would it solve my booting problem?
Also to valis, I looked at the requirements for W8 and compared them to my computer's, and I didn't see any problems. As you can see though, I am having difficulties so I'm sorry to say you still don't know any successful updates from Vista to Windows 8 lol

TerryNet

Terry
I dont know of any vista to 8 swaps of yet. At least none successful.
My HP dv6500z, purchased Nov. 2007 with Vista is now running Windows 10. Seems to be OK except for some missing drivers--Memory Stick Controller and SD Host Controller and Nvidia co-processor. The first two don't matter and I don't understand the significance of the third one. After decommissioning this PC as a work-horse Windows 7 last month I installed Windows 8.1 briefly just to make sure that it would install and run. It did.

valis

My HP dv6500z, purchased Nov. 2007 with Vista is now running Windows 10. Seems to be OK except for some missing drivers--Memory Stick Controller and SD Host Controller and Nvidia co-processor. The first two don't matter and I don't understand the significance of the third one. After decommissioning this PC as a work-horse Windows 7 last month I installed Windows 8.1 briefly just to make sure that it would install and run. It did.
(y)

Thanks for that Terry, confirms what I had hoped.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online