1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

used recovery disks for dead hard drive. Now what?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mysislea, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mysislea

mysislea Thread Starter

Hey all, someone gave me a crashed computer with windows XP on it. I ordered the recovery disks from HP and did my reinstall. It worked really great. But now I am wondering if I should do more clean up. I am using the computer right now, but some times when I get on the internet a get this error message: "Internet explorer script error". Does the explorer need updating? Could the computer still have bugs on it? I ran Norton and all looks clean. Also I can't get the dvd rom to work. It acts like nothing is in there. I get to the screen that should play it, but when I push play nothing happens. Thanks Lea

2. The Hound

The Hound

The IE script error sounds like IE 5 may have come with the recovery set. Open internet explorer, click help, and 'about Internet Explorer. If the version is 5.xx.xx, download IE 6 here. You may need to do that with another machine, copy it to cd or thumb drive, and copy it to the affected machine. You'll need to be connected to the internet to complete the installation.

Next, go to Windows Update--there'll probably be a boatload of updates waiting. You won't be secure until your O/S is completely patched.

The DVD drive--is that the drive you did the recovery with? You may need codecs to play dvd's----let's get to that after the updates.

3. mysislea

mysislea Thread Starter

Wow! You got back to me so quickly. I will do what you said now, and get back to you. Thanks Lea

4. golddust

golddust

Had the same problem with my HP until I downloaded IE7. Tried every possible fix anyone here could give me, but none worked. By the way, what model HP computer do you have? If it's one of the walmart models - ends with a 'w' - I don't doubt you've had problems. My old Pavilion 304w is about 5 years old. Hubby uses it now, but it is on its third hard drive and second motherboard. All the repairs were made by HP under the warranty so didn't cost anything. Next time it goes, it's in the trash.

5. mysislea

mysislea Thread Starter

Ok I did the windows update and had a lot to do. You were right about that. Then I checked internet explorer and I have version 6.0.2 (bla, bla,) So do I need to reinstall anyways? Maybe the update will take care of the explorer problems. Well, while I wait for your reply I'll surf the web and see if I get the error message still. And then how about the DVD rom? I used the CD Rom for the recovery disks. The DVD Rom opens and closes fine. Just doesn't recognize what's in there. OK thanks Lea

6. mysislea

mysislea Thread Starter

I have an HP Pavilion 544 N. Ones from Walmart end with w? I never knew that. I have internet explorer version 6.2 ##. Would 7 work on windows XP? Thanks Lea

7. The Hound

The Hound

If the DVD drive opens and closes and shows up in device manager, I'd run a dvd lens cleaner on it. Before you buy one for 14 bucks, you should know that a new dvd burner can be had for less than 40...

See if the dvd drive will recognize a data cd.

8. The Hound

The Hound

IE 7 will be offered at Windows update, I would imagine.

9. mysislea

mysislea Thread Starter

I did try a cd (music) in the dvd rom and it would not read it. When I right click on the dvd rom button it doesn't give me an autoplay option. It just gives me an open option. Then when I click on it it says, "Insert a disk into drive F." Also now it is called cd drive instead of Dvd drive. Even after restart. The Cd drive works fine for music and games. Another probably simple problem is that when I got my google window up it was small and instead of just clicking the maximize button, I went under something and clicked something like enlarge window or something. Well now I am stuck with this too big window and my tool bars and all the other options that are on top of the window are gone and it is driving me nuts. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks Lea

10. The Hound

The Hound

F11 should restore the window...

Are you sure the dvd drive is a dvd drive??

It's not out of the question that someone might swap an old cd drive for the dvd burner before giving the machine away...

Click start, run, type devmgmt.msc click ok, click the plus to expand cd/dvd drives, and tell us what you see...

11. mysislea

mysislea Thread Starter

THanks for the F 11 hint! It worked. Ok I did that run thing.. and it says
    JLMS dvd-rom LTD-1665
    Samsung CD-R/RW SW-2408
    And the Dvd rom (on the tower) says "DVD Rom" on it. The CD rom says "hp cd writer" on it. OK Thanks so much for all your help Lea

12. The Hound

The Hound

You could go back to devmgmt.msc, and try right clicking and uninstalling (removing) the dvd rom drive. Reboot, and let windows rediscover the drive and reinstall the drivers...

If you enter the model number here... you may find a firmware upgrade for the dvd drive.

13. mysislea

mysislea Thread Starter

ok found the driver update online. I will try that first. They say it will take awhile. I'll let you know if it works. You have been a great great help. Thanks Lea

14. The Hound

The Hound

You're welcome. I hope this works...

15. mysislea

mysislea Thread Starter

oops it looked like the right driver update but some of the letters were off, but I tried it anyways and it said it was not compatable. Then I tried the internal wizard and it said that the DVD software didn't need updating. When I looked at the properties (I think I clicked on properties) it said that the DVD is functioning properly. So I will try to uninstall it and then reboot. OK thanks Lea.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597494

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice