1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Useing Dos-based program in Win XP

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Branigan, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Branigan

Branigan Thread Starter

I am a novice who has a DOS-based recipe program ("Cook") that no longer is supported by the supplier (New Hampton Industries). How can I load it on my new computer that uses Windows XP?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Providing that it doesn't attempt to directly access hardware or protected areas of memory, you just copy it over and run it in a command prompt. I have lots of tools I still use that are DOS based. I do embedded systems programming, and many of the development tools are still DOS based for older processors, they work fine.

3. Branigan

Branigan Thread Starter

Thanks for your prompt response. As I stated, I am a novice and still don't understand. How do I know if it will directly access hardware or protected areas of memory? How do I copy it over and run it in a command prompt?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, copying it over depends on what capabilitity you have of copying files between the computers. I know nothing about the size of this program, so it's hard to recommend a method of getting it onto the new machine.

Running from a command prompt is as simple as Start/Run/CMD, and you have a command prompt.

As far as protected accesses or direct hardware access is concerned, the only to find out is to fire it up and see. XP won't let you hurt yourself, if the program bombs with an access violation, it's probably not compatible with W2K/XP.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115807

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice